Is the infamous tilting/rocking noise on the MBP a real issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nave29, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Nave29 macrumors member

Just got a brand new MBP 2017 13" in the custom order.

No issues with keyboard... no issues with hinge... but I have the issue where there's a knocking sound when you tilt the computer side to side.

I've read this has been an issue on many (but not all) MBPs since the retina. If everything else is perfect, is it worth getting this replaced? Will it be a long term issue?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    To add to original post... 2 of the 4 demo MBPs I tilted in the Apple Store do this so not ALL of them do it. My old 2016 MBP that I returned did this as well.

2. wiffle macrumors regular

I had this issue on a 2016 I had replaced. Turned out it was a loose LCD inside the display casing - they replaced my display (but had to have the entire MBP replaced later for unrelated reasons). I'm working on a 15" 2017 right now which doesn't have this issue so I don't think it's normal.

3. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

Just left the store... the technicians basically said this was within normal Apple standards and pointed to how even some of the store models have it. They told me if I really want it perfect I should redo my custom order online and see if the new one has the issue. At this point I'm just going to live with it.

4. jerryk macrumors 68040

Pretty common. There are plastic film layers in the display and they need to be allowed to move a bit to handle expansion. That is what you hear when you tilt or shake the system side to side.

5. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

Hm.. so nothing I should worry about long term?

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

Assuming you mean this, then I would not worry about it. But if it really bothers you exchange it.

7. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's nothing to worry about as it doesn't affect the computer in any way, and only presents itself under obscure use circumstances.

As to the reason, as @jerryk pointed out it's to do with the IPS panel. I believe Apple use a couple of different suppliers for their panels, with some more prevalent than others. So if it particularly bothers you, you can exchange them, but you are just as likely to get another one. And again it only presents as a 'problem' when tilting the computer side to side, so unless this is your use case I would agree with you and just live with it, nothing functionally wrong unless its severe (In which case it's a warranty repair anyway).

8. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

Yup that exact issue
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    Sounds like a good explanation. I called Apple, they added a note attached to my serial number so it's known that I have this issue and can be fixed under warranty later. He hinted Apple engineers know about this issue already. He didn't go so far as to say he expected a recall though (I asked him about it).

9. domsodidavid macrumors member

I had this issue with my early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13, and now I have it with my 2016 MBP 15. I'm skeptical about that its a common issue, I think it's an undiscovered design flaw.

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's something all IPS displays will occasionally suffer from. It's more prevalent in MBPs as you've got millions of single design examples out there, as opposed to thousands of various different Windows laptops. Apple use a few different suppliers and it's all made within tolerance, but one that is closer to perfect than another may not suffer from it. And that's why some rock and others don't.

Of course it's not always the screen though and there are a few other areas that should cause concern. But to see if it's the screen, simple pinch the display a little whilst tilting and it will go away.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen this issue crop up last year and many people are worked up over it, but it seems now that its less about being defective and more about a design issue.

My 2012 doesn't have this, and I'm not sure how I would feel if I buy a new MBP and it had this phenomenon. I suppose if its not noticeable under normal usage, I'd not be bothered by it.