Is the iP4 any hotter than the 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nooaah, Jul 7, 2010.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I've noticed that the phone feels significantly hotter after making calls of 20+ minutes. Hot enough that it's somewhat painful to hold my hand against the back.

Two questions:

1. Does it only feel hotter because of the glass material conducting and maintaining the heat better than the plastic back of the 3G/3GS?
    2. If it actually does run hotter, could utilizing a case actually contribute to overheating the phone in situations that it otherwise would maintain a working temperature naked?
    Unrelated: The iP4 may not appear to have a better quality signal, but my dropped call rate is FAR lower than with the 3GS. In fact, since I began holding the phone correctly I can't even remember the last dropped call that didn't occur intentionally.

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

My i4 was still normal temperature after a 45~60 min phone call with the misses.

I didn't realise there were rules.
    Let's face it, there's a big problem when a company's CEO tells 2 million customers to hold it differently ;)

3. kolture macrumors newbie

i want to know to..my phone also gets really hot after 20 min+ talking..if it continues, im taking it in for a replacement.

4. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Yes, my iPhone 4 does get hotter, especially after long calls and playing music. At this point, I don't know if it is a defect or not.

As for the better call quality, again, I agree with the OP. Even though my 3GS had very good reception and rarely dropped calls, my iPhone 4's reception and rate of dropped calls is noticeably superior.

5. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I believe the phone just feels hot because of the glass. Mine gets much warmer than my 3GS from just being held, not running any apps with the screen locked.

6. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Mine is not... This was a biggie coming from the 3GS. I notice it only gets warm along the steel and near the back lens. And for a big video game guy, not having the back get extremely warm after a session of Guitar Hero is huge.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I used mine for Geocaching on Saturday and Sunday. I plugged it in the cigarette lighter while traveling from one site to another. Since this is a GPS functioning App it uses quite a lot of battery power. However it only got warm not hot.

8. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Haha it's not really a rule as much as a circumstance of me wanting to be able to make calls. :p

9. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

That's a little troubling. I ran Flycast on 3G for about 15 minutes on Monday and the thing felt like a piece of coal in a barbecue. I've never had it shut down from overheating, though.