Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Not outdated, and with almost everything, there will be no noticable (or even actual) speed difference.

Only if you have a specific application that could benefit from the increased speed (and the numbers won't tell you if it will, only reviews of the app with the new hardware vs old, or first hand experience).

Reactions: Mr.C

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I am a developer. I have an Air2 (and most of the iPads before that...) and an iPhone XsMax.

I do not consider the Air2 to be either outdated or slow. I feel no need to update it.

Certainly, a 10.5 Pro is neither outdated nor slow.

Reactions: sracer and newellj

sahilmasand

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I believe that the A11 chip was supposed to designed for a new overhauled iPAd OS that functions more like a desktop operating system. So the iPad Pro 10.5 might get a bit sluggish with future OS updates. Both have 4gb of RAM though so you should be fine on that front. But keep in mind that the new iPad Pro is 2x faster than the 10.5 one.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I believe that the A11 chip was supposed to designed for a new overhauled iPAd OS that functions more like a desktop operating system. So the iPad Pro 10.5 might get a bit sluggish with future OS updates. Both have 4gb of RAM though so you should be fine on that front. But keep in mind that the new iPad Pro is 2x faster than the 10.5 one.
No A11 chip ever made it into an iPad. The 2017 10.5 and 12.9 Pro's use the A10X and the new Pro's use the A12X.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
The same could have been said for the A10X when the 10.5 came out, it too was vastly overpowered for iOS at the time, and it still is. It’ll be a long time before any new iOS version (which remember also has to support the 2018 iPad and even the 2017 with its basic A9 chip for the immediate future) remotely stretches the A10X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.