Is the iPad 2 able to Videochat ??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SaN NizZLe, Sep 9, 2011.

1. SaN NizZLe macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!!

I was thinking of purchasing an iPad 2 for my mom for her birthday coming up as her 2- year old netbook is getting reeeaalllllllly slow.

She uses Windows Messenger a lot to chat via the webcam with some cousins in Europe.

My question is, will the iPad 2 be able to do this without a problem or does it only work via Skype and facetime?

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

:cool:

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Yeah, ipad2 can video chat. The front facing camera can be utilized by pretty much every app.

3. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

If the question is if you can video chat on the MSN/Windows Live messenger network on iPad, I don't think we have an app for that yet. There are many apps like Skype, FaceTime, Qik, etc, but nothing compatible with the Microsoft one as far as I know.

4. SaN NizZLe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!! How about facebbook? Don't they have that new video chat feature?

In the meantime, I will find out if there's another way she can video chat....

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

Skype is a good substitute for her chat sessions. It's free and many Europeans use it regularly. She should ask if they already have it. My husband travels in Eirope and the mid-east all the time and we use Skype every day. One nice thing about Skype is you can chose to use the video or just the audio. If the connection is slow chances are the audio will work fine.

6. shandyman Suspended

There's no iPad app for Facebook yet. It's in the works and we're awaiting it's release (damn you Facebook). The iPhone app that runs on the iPad doesn't do video yet.

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Yahoo messenger does video chat on iPad.

I just wish apple would release facetime for windows.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Here this may help:
    Skype does video chatting with Skype accounts (duh)
    Yahoo Messenger does video chatting with Yahoo accounts (duh)
    Vtok does video chatting with gmail (not many know of this but it works wonders)
    Fring does video chatting with fring users and I believe you can now do up to 5 users
    Others include Nimbuzz (maybe wrong here as idr if it does or not), ooVoo (hated the UI), FaceTime (no audio only option makes me not want to use this)

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Didnt even know you could video chat over gmail, ill look into that!

10. shandyman Suspended

yea you can do it via the gtalk app on windows or via the web interface

11. SteveWorks macrumors newbie

yes.. skype works ok but sometimes not stable