Is the iPad 2 available in China?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gutwrench, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Is the iPad 2 3g available in China? If so can I use it on a non AT&T or Verizon network?

If not, can I buy one in the US and use it in China on a AT&T or Verizon network?

Thank you for your help.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think it will be released in Hong Kong or China until July. You could get one from here. Get the AT&T model as the Verizon one doesn't use a SIM card. Just swap out the SIM with a provider in China.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

sure, there's about 500,000 of them for sale at double the retail price.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Of course they're available in China--the scalpers all bought them here and sent them over there--that's why mine is still sitting in "not yet shipped" status.

So angry about that. :mad:

5. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

How ironic is it that those iPad 2s will travel so many miles just to get back to where they started?

6. psml macrumors member

omg !!!

7. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thank you. I will buy it here, maybe a couple, and carry them there. Thank you again.

8. dacalo macrumors member

How are the scalpers and your shipping status related at all?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. Apple most likely had a set shipping schedule for retail distribution. Of course, this was augmented a bit, but they wouldn't have sacrificed a huge amount from the online pipeline that has much less overhead.

Also people - just because this guy is taking his iPad back to China doesn't mean you can equate him to the scalpers. If the iPad were somehow offered in China before the United States, you can't tell me Americans wouldn't be chartering FedEx flights to sell them at ridiculous prices here in the US. I guess the gist of what I'm saying is don't hate the player, hate the game.

10. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Just for the record I am taking them to family so they will be gifts. No profit for me/us. When visiting family one must bring gifts.

Thanks again everyone. I welcome any comments and advice.

11. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I strongly believe the iPad 2 is "more available" in China than in the US.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Good for you :) I'm sure they'll be appreciated. iPad 2 = Awesomeness.

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

To answer the OP's question (since we all got a little sidetracked on scalpers and whatnot ...), yes you can use the AT&T version in China. It works with China Unicom's 3G network and works quite well if I may say so myself. I have the WIFI iPad 2 and the 3G iPad 1. All I do these days is tether to my iPhone using Personal Hotspot. Unlike AT&T, China Unicom doesn't require extra fees to tether. But, the data caps are a lot lower, unfortunately.