Is the iPad 2 international release already doomed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SiMBa37, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Just had a thought, I don't see these supply problems ending in the US until about May or June.

But...on March 25th, the iPad goes international in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K

I mean, seriously, does Apple really think they can fulfill demand there? The scalpers know they can't, and are already willing to "supply" those countries with gray market iPads.

2. rritterson macrumors 6502

nah, they'll just futz around and not ship the iPads of those of us who ordered before 1am on the 11th so they'll have more to give the people waiting in line in the UK. :cool:

3. seanpholman macrumors regular

I was thinking the exact same thing. How can they launch in all of these countries if they can't even supply the US. Even my iPhone 4 (and 3G and original) was easier to get on launch day, I had no idea it would be this difficult to find stock almost a week out.

I wonder how many months it will be until retail channels can keep a small number in stock for any period of time. One month? Six months?

--Sean

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

What makes you think that Apple doesn't already have 500,000 or 1 million ipads boxed up and ready to ship to all the secondary launch countries? This isn't their first rodeo.

5. seanpholman macrumors regular

Sure, they could have a million boxed up and ready to go, but if a million wasn't enough to satisfy the US demand, what makes you think it will satisfy those overseas? International is much larger than the US in terms of overall sales, so if the demand is similar...

--Sean

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No way apple will launch iPad 2 in 24 countries in 3/25/2011.

Do you see 4-5 weeks back order in US?

Apple is getting 4-5 weeks back order with one country, so they want to challenge 25 countries? Ridiculous.

We are going to have iPad 2s on back order for over 2-3 months. Either that, apple will have delay international launch.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple is also looking for line-ups in all the other countries ... this is well thought out marketing ... have the launch covered by the media as long as possible.

everyone will wait and still buy :cool:

8. El Aurens macrumors member

Doubtful that Apple will delay the international launch. Last year they never gave a firm date for the international launch until the American sales were well under way. This year they've committed to a firm international release date which leads me to believe that they will have a stockpile available for the 25th. It may not be enough to supply demand, but at least Apple will have confirmed that the global market is as important as the home market. Just my 2 cents.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Maybe the reason supplies are limited in the U.S. is because they're saving them for the international release.

10. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I just got my iPad 2 today. Bought from eBay seller on the 11th. So glad I did. It cost me an extra 150.00 but I was going to take the day off on the 25th anyways so in the end I saved more by going to work. That's my logic.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How is it that posters here think they know more than those at Apple responsible for these things? Chances are, you're more qualified to be a greeter at Walmart than you are a supply chain manager at Apple. :rolleyes:

Apple will launch overseas and have backorders there as well. Such is life at the top of Tech Mountain.

12. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Apple have given a firm date for International release and the March 25th date has been advertised at various UK retail outlets as well as the UK Apple store itself, so I really can't see Apple pulling the plug on the International launch because of shortages in the US.

I'm pretty sure (or seriously hoping) that they have designated shipments for US and then International. Just becuase US is showing 4-5 weeks doesn't mean they have no iPads left in the inventory.

Fulfilling demand is another question though, 100% guaranteed they won't, but I'm sure they'd rather get the iPad out to a bigger audience.

13. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I can't see Apple delaying the international launch as most of the planning and preparation has already been done. As others have said many stores are advertising availability on the 25th. One of the reasons that stock is short in the US are the number of units being purchased for the grey Market. I am sure Apple does not want to see this grey Market continue. Apple have announced a delay in shipping to Japan because of the current situation there. If they where going to delay other international locations then they would have announced that at the same time.

14. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Apple Switzerland

Ordered my iPad 2 online 1hr after it became available in the Swiss store. Will ship on the 15th of April! :)

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Different allocations/supply chains to the different distribution channels. No big.