Is the iPad 2 wifi+3G Unlocked (AT&T version) ??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rak007, May 2, 2012.

1. rak007, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

rak007 macrumors 6502a

Sorry if the question sounds silly but i am total noob when it comes to iPads.

I might be buying the iPad 2 in a month or so and i was browsing amazon.com to look for the price etc. The reason i want to buy from amazon is because i have amazon gift card balance that i wanted to used.
    My main query is that the iPad 2 wifi+3G available on amazon.com AT&T version is locked to AT&T or unlocked to be used with any micro SIM ?
    Like, can i just pop in my Tmobile SIM or for that matter my home country SIM (when i return back) and use without doing any sort of unlock or anything ?

The reason i am confused is because on amazon.com, there are few listings of Factory Unlocked International Version iPad 2s and also AT&T iPad 2s and the factory unlocked ones sell for like substantially more price than the AT&T version.

Which one should i buy ??

Also another query is that if i use Tmobile SIM card in the iPad 2, it will still work in EDGE speeds right ?

Here is one link from amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC982LL...ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1335992269&sr=1-4

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

All the 3G/4G LTE iPads are factory unlocked. I think to use T-Mobile or another sim you're going to have to edit the apn settings.

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The downside to using a T-mobile SIM in the ATT iPad is that you will be limited to EDGE speeds, as ATT and T-mobile use different frequencies for 3G speeds. Also, 4G won't be available at all.