Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok, I'll admit it: I don't need an iPad. I guess my question is since I don't already have one, aside from the cameras and the speed, couldn't I just buy an iPad 1?

I could just buy an iPad 1 and if I think I 'need' the iPad 2, buy one when there are more of them available.

kev7554

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Cincinnati
In my opinion yes. Cameras do suck. Browsing the web is noticeably faster then 4.3 on iPad 1. Feels much better in the hand and feels much lighter.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Ok, I'll admit it: I don't need an iPad. I guess my question is since I don't already have one, aside from the cameras and the speed, couldn't I just buy an iPad 1?

I could just buy an iPad 1 and if I think I 'need' the iPad 2, buy one when there are more of them available.
To me, the speed bump, 2 cameras, added ram, thinner size and lighter weight are a no-brainer to me for being worth the extra $100. Every single thing I listed appeals to me without question...

shstiger2009

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
The cameras aren't great...but I'd say for $100 extra, definitely. Browsing is fast, it is light and feels great, and the speed and snappiness is noticeable. I'd easily go for the iPad 2 over iPad for $100 more.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
All those things also appeal to me, but I'm not sure how easily I can find one this weekend. Since I don't really 'need' one, if I can't find one, I may have no choice but to wait.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The cameras aren't great...but I'd say for $100 extra, definitely. Browsing is fast, it is light and feels great, and the speed and snappiness is noticeable. I'd easily go for the iPad 2 over iPad for $100 more.

I was hoping you would sell me on the iPad 1, but no such luck! How is the screen when light hits it? Less glare or the same?

iPimpin

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010

I would say no because the resolution still is poor

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I bought a 2nd 32gb black. Posted it on craigslist for $950. Let's see if someone thinks its worth the extra $300 to get it today.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Honestly, the only thing keeping me from snapping up a cheap iPad 1 right now (since I picked the wrong store to wait in line in today) is video chatting. This alone is valuable enough to me to pay the extra and keep waiting, but it might not be to everyone.

shstiger2009

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
I was hoping you would sell me on the iPad 1, but no such luck! How is the screen when light hits it? Less glare or the same?

I can't honestly compare it, because I only ever played with the original iPad's in the store. This is my first one. But it doesn't bother me, and I got the white so it's not as reflective as the black bezel.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
No way!

I only bought it cause I know I'll pay big bucks everytime. It's Apples Gouge the Customer Policy.

I became a loyal Apple customer long before they began this obscene pricing policy. I can easily afford it or I wouldn't buy anymore , that's a fact.

It sends shivers down my spine when I read that people actually go in debt, and finance this stuff.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
iPad 2 is worth it if you dont own the current model. As it stands, the unit I purchased tonight is on eBay right now. I had it out for about 20 minutes but was disappointed. The cameras suck too much, and there weren't enough other upgrades to justify the upgrade "fee", even factoring in what I would sell my iPad 1 for.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Well, against everyone's advice, I bought an iPad 1 16GB. It was $359 at Best Buy.

First of all, compared to the iPad 2 it is notceably heavier. Granted, I only had their display for a moment, but it seems lighter and easier to hold.

It seems a little slow as well, but comparing it to a MacBook Pro isn't a fair comparison.

It also doesn't seem very comfortable to hold. When Best Buy has more iPad 2's in stock, I will consider one. I have 14 days to decide if I want it. So far, not so sure. It just seems way easier to use my MacBook Pro.

We'll see...

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
iPad 2 is worth it if you dont own the current model. As it stands, the unit I purchased tonight is on eBay right now. I had it out for about 20 minutes but was disappointed. The cameras suck too much, and there weren't enough other upgrades to justify the upgrade "fee", even factoring in what I would sell my iPad 1 for.

You don't do much research before you buy, huh?

Strom1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
NY
Well, against everyone's advice, I bought an iPad 1 16GB. It was $359 at Best Buy.

Really! Thats an awesome deal. I am assuming thats a brand new unit? I was at Best Buy yesterday and all the original Ipad's were 399.00. How'd you snag that deal?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

First of all, compared to the iPad 2 it is notceably heavier. Granted, I only had their display for a moment, but it seems lighter and easier to hold.

It seems a little slow as well, but comparing it to a MacBook Pro isn't a fair comparison.

It also doesn't seem very comfortable to hold. When Best Buy has more iPad 2's in stock, I will consider one. I have 14 days to decide if I want it. So far, not so sure. It just seems way easier to use my MacBook Pro.

We'll see...

Make sure it has 4.3 installed on it, which will make a huge difference with web browsing. That said, the iPad is not for everyone. Some people would never want to go back to using a phone and laptop for their 'mobile' computing, and plenty of others get one, use it for a while, and then lose interest. You can't please everyone!

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

vincenz said:

You don't do much research before you buy, huh?

I read the reviews. I still wanted to try it out for myself to be sure. Is that so wrong?

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

I have an iPad 1. From that perspective, and you're obviously cost conscious, if you can readily get the iPad 2 you want without hassle or zinging all over town hunting one down, I'd go ahead and fork over the extra $100 for the current model. But if you want one readily available, no iPad 2s in your area without lines or other hassle, I'd buy an original and blow the hundred bucks saved on a nice dinner out or something.

Ha! Nice dinner out. We have three kids. A hundred bucks is the local Tex-Mex joint. But oh well, at least it's something. ;-)

I just noticed you bought one. Seriously, if you don't immediately catch onto, for whatever it is you do, Hey, this could REPLACE my MacBook Pro, you probably shouldn't sling out more money for an iPad 2, and perhaps should even return the iPad 1. Tablets don't suit everyone -- may never, no matter how feature-rich they become.

Last edited:

MBPLurker

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
Really! Thats an awesome deal. I am assuming thats a brand new unit? I was at Best Buy yesterday and all the original Ipad's were 399.00. How'd you snag that deal?

It had to have been an open box item. Every store in my city only had open box (i.e. returned) 399$ models. Best Buy will take an additional 5-10% off of those when they are open box, depending on a number of things.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, and now that we have benchmarks that show the iPad 2 smacks the iPad 1 down like a hungry bear would a seal only a crazy or ill-informed person would not spend the extra $100 just for the extra longevity that buys. But then there is the bonus of the cameras, the lower weight, and better shape and feel of the 2.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
It had to have been an open box item. Every store in my city only had open box (i.e. returned) 399$ models. Best Buy will take an additional 5-10% off of those when they are open box, depending on a number of things.

You got it! It was a returned item. The first thing I did is install 4.3 on it. The 2 main issues are the increased weight and how quickly 16GB fill up. I will at least give it a week since I have 14 days. Maybe I should have gotten the Apple case as it seems to make it easier to hold.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
As it stands today I'd still say yes, and it will probably be a much bigger difference in few months when there a bunch of iPad 2 specific apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.