Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Or does iOS6 just lag?

Since receiving iOS6, I've noticed that Maps lags, even with 3D turned off. The App Store and iTunes store can lag, also. I have 3D games on my iPad but haven't really used them, as I tend to stick to 2D games or other non-intensive apps, although I noticed Photoshop touch lagging when zooming in and out.

So is the iPad 3 underpowered, hence the 4th gen being released? Or is iOS6 just a mess that needs patching?

Thanks

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Or does iOS6 just lag?

Since receiving iOS6, I've noticed that Maps lags, even with 3D turned off. The App Store and iTunes store can lag, also. I have 3D games on my iPad but haven't really used them, as I tend to stick to 2D games or other non-intensive apps, although I noticed Photoshop touch lagging when zooming in and out.

So is the iPad 3 underpowered, hence the 4th gen being released? Or is iOS6 just a mess that needs patching?

Thanks

Some people here on the forums have complained its laggy with iOS6. I have used my wife's iPad 3 and didn't feel it was laggy per say... I found Maps to load various sections of a certain area to load up somewhat moderately but it didn't feel like lag.

You could do a factory reset which I did on my iPad 1 and found that to help quite a bit.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Or does iOS6 just lag?

Thanks

Using my iPhone 5 today, I noticed some pretty serious lag using Maps, though I don't recall anything wrong with the App Store and iTunes. However, I've noticed quite a few other bugs and inconsistencies in iOS 6, so I think it's a likely bet that it's just the upgrade. Give it until Apple releases a few bugfixes (6.0.1) to call your iPad underpowered.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Any small problem I have had with my ipad 3, has been since ios 6. I believe they will fix the bugs in the next update.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The iPad 3 has comparable CPU performance to the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Like the iPhone 4S, the iPad 3 noticeably lags in some operations and some apps. Just as the iPhone 5 is much faster than the iPhone 4S, the iPad 4 is much faster than the iPad 3.

Many forget that the iPad 3 is essentially an iPad 2 with a Retina display, more memory, and faster graphics processor to support the higher resolution screen. The iPad 4 is the first "real upgrade" in performance since the iPad 2.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Or does iOS6 just lag?

Thanks
In theory on paper, yes. 4x as many pixels to render, 2x the graphics power from the iPad 2.

In practice, snappy and responsive in the OS, in gaming, Infinity Blade 2, etc.

AppStore and iTunes got globbered and made heavy with iOS6. Makes no sense, clobbered my iPhone4 as well. And it was not underpowered at launch, or through iOS5.

iPad 4 was to bring harmony to the Lightning connector across all their mobile products, shave cost: 32nm vs. 45nm SoC, and bring international LTE support.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I've always thought the iPad 3 was underpowered.
For me, Retina - whilst great, doesn't outweigh the increased weight the iPad 3 has over the iPad 2(which we use at work), and I find the 3rd generation iPad to be a little sluggish in comparison.
The CPU and GPU in the 3, don't make it perform any faster than the iPad 2, IMO.
All that extra power, is dedicated to simply driving the extra pixels, so it can attempt to keep up with its predecessor.
The 8-hour charging time(from the iPad 2's 4 hours) was irritating as well.
The fact that the 4th gen arrived so quickly, tells me that Apple realized all this(not sure if the 4th gen's battery charge time has quickened).

----------

The iPad 3 has comparable CPU performance to the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Like the iPhone 4S, the iPad 3 noticeably lags in some operations and some apps. Just as the iPhone 5 is much faster than the iPhone 4S, the iPad 4 is much faster than the iPad 3.

Many forget that the iPad 3 is essentially an iPad 2 with a Retina display, more memory, and faster graphics processor to support the higher resolution screen. The iPad 4 is the first "real upgrade" in performance since the iPad 2.
Don't they have the same(512MB RAM)?

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Don't they have the same(512MB RAM)?

The 3rd gen has 1GB, the iPad 2 as 512MB, that was another nice perk with the 3rd gen. I'm assuming the 4th gen will stay at 1GB, seems like a pretty effective amount, but who knows, maybe they'll sneak in another 1/2 GB :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OCD anyone?

Do you even know what OCD is? Something tells me you don't.

My iPad 3 works fine still. Even with iOS 6, I don't experience any lag. I just ran the maps app and it seems like it was before but I am on my wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.