iPad Is the iPad 4 a good tablet for a first time tablet user?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Mar 27, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I've slowly gotten my mom used to the iPhone to a point where she is comfortable with it. I want to get her an iPad 4 as her first tablet. She is not a power user by any stretch of the imagination and will probably only use 5-10 apps a most for video chatting, Facebook etc. So is the iPad 4 for sufficient for her use case where she can use it for a few years? Are the internals sufficiently future proof? I am thinking the iPad 4 and not the Air for two reasons: (1) $100 cheaper, (2) Larger bezels to hold the iPad which probably makes it easier to operate for a first time tablet user.

Thoughts?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

The iPad 4 would make an excellent choice but you may want to consider the rMini. Both tablets are the same price and your Mom may like the smaller size and lighter weight of the rMini.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have had the iPads 1-3 and now have the Air. The difference in bezel size between the Air and previous iPads isn't significant enough to affect tablet operation. That said, the 4 would be an excellent choice, and should last several years for a light user like your Mom. Also, as the other poster said, you might want to look into the mini, especially if your Mom might enjoy taking an iPad with her out of the house. However, the mini's bezels *are* small enough that personally, I find it more difficult to hold. But each person is different. Would be best if you could have your Mom try them first before committing to a purchase.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my mom said that she would like the larger iPad and ended up loving the mini, i thought that i liked the larger iPad until i got the mini. get the mini.

5. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to get the larger iPad 4 for her and not the mini because she wears glasses and I know she prefers large text. Also pictures and videos look bigger/better on the 9.7" screen than the 7.9" screen.

I'd would have never bought her the iPad 2 at the $399 price point. But the iPad 4 with its retina screen, lightning connector, and same front and rear cameras as the Air, makes it a very attractive option at the same price.

6. LemPh macrumors member

There could be no better choice in my opinion! Go with the 4th, you won't regret it!

7. cynics macrumors G3

The 4 would be an excellent option. It's more then powerful enough. I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for me.

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Our iPad 4 runs fantastic, even on pretty processor intense games and whatnot - it’s basically A6 v. A7 and size/weight. The former won’t make much different since the A6 is still _very_ fast (CPU and GPU), and outside of things like post-proseccing time for video, 98% of her usage won’t make a difference.

Though I have been thinking about trying an rMini since my 6 year old uses the iPad the most and she seems to like the smaller form factor (I still feel like tablet use is best on the larger iPad, but I realize that’s subjective).

Heck, if I wind up doing something in the near future, I’ll probably sell our iPad 4 (32GB, WiFi, near-mint, all original cables, box, iCarbon, screen protectors, blue smart cover, pink NGP rear case).

9. katty89 macrumors newbie

Yes! I think the 4 would be an excellent option for your mom ;)

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I also think the 4 would be a great choice for her. If she is getting along with her iPhone, she will love an iPad:)

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Go for iPad 4 and you might want to check for refurb one at Apple store online. :apple:

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yep.

@saintforlife
    You might also want to consider getting one with built-in cellular. I got my mom and suggested my aunt get wifi-only iPads and set them up so they can bluetooth tether to their phones. Big mistake. I've missed a few lunches trying to talk them through resetting the bluetooth connection and those sessions never really helped. I'd usually have to reset it myself. I wouldn't suggest they use unsecured wifi hotspots either since they do a lot of online banking and shopping on their iPads.

13. Breaking Good, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, yes. An iPad 4 would be an excellent choice for a first time iPad owner.

With that said, you may want to consider getting a 16GB iPad Air instead. I am routinely seeing sales on those right now. I would not expect to see sales on the iPad 4 16GB model until next quarter.

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Yepper on the 16GB Air instead. I think it has been on sale at Best Buy for the last month or so. Buy an open box which is only basically a return from a customer and you save more and get closer to the price of the 4. You can inspect it if you like before buying and you get 14 days to return it as well.

I'd go that route instead of getting the 4 at this point.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I snagged one for the wifey after she kept using my Air. It's a an excellent device and still feels very current. A no brainer purchase, IMO.

16. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Go for it! It's built like a tank, it's hardware still holds it's own against the latest tablets out there, it still gets updates with majority of the features in each update and it can be had for a great price, I'm sure you can get a great deal for a iPad 4 32GB right now. :)

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Apple refurb store. I'm picking up a 16gb 4th gen for $339 - and certified Apple refurbs are always in great shape.

Looking forward to it!