Is the iPad 4th Gen a worthwhile upgrade from the 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joshwithachance, Oct 25, 2012.

1. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I purchased a refurbished iPad in December of last year and was wondering if you guys felt like now would be a good time to upgrade my iPad? I know nobody has the 4th gen yet, but just wanted some opinions.

2. Markdek macrumors member

I have an ipad 2, and have only had an ipad 2.....if I had the desire or need, I'd get the 4. I think the 4 will have a good lifespan, unlike the 3.

3. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Based on specs alone, the iPad 4 is definitely an upgrade and worth it. Don't chase in to the latest and greatest race by waiting next year for the iPad 5 or whatever they call it. I say embrace todays tech and enjoy it until it breaks. If it suits your needs, the newest iPad being released will last you quite a while. Don't let bitter iPad 3 owners make your decision. The choice is yours.

4. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I think I'm going to go for it! I LOVE the retina display on my iPhone 5 and have found myself reading books more on my iPad, and the graininess is very apparent on the iPad 2, and I hear the iPad retina display cured this issue so I'm excited. Also iPad 2s are fetching around $330-$350 on Amazon/eBay so I don't have to put in too much of my own money come preorders tomorrow. :)

5. mwulf67 macrumors regular

Every other year, or model in this case, is a very sensible ungraded schedule...I am still rocking the 2 as well and had planned to upgrade to the 4 had Apple maintained its more normal/expected release cycle...the news caught me a bit by surprise and not really in a position to upgrade at this point...but if I could, I wouldn't hesitate...

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree completely.

7. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

This is just me so you don't have to take my advice but my thinking has been this on iPads.

I have owned each model (selling one after another). I do not see a huge difference between the 3 and 4. From 2 to 4 the leap is much much greater and I think a justifiable purchase for you.

I am purchasing the 4 for two reasons:

1. I think the A6X will really benefit the iPad 4 push the retina display better and the heat dispersion (although not terrible on the 3) should hopefully be fixed.

2. The iPad 5 is going to be a radical redesign. It almost has to at this point when you see that every other Apple product now goes for thinness while the iPad has actually added weight and thickness since the 2.

For that second reason, I am selling my 3 to get the 4. The resale value on the 3 has already dropped by $100 on eBay's instant sale and I'm taking my chances via auction. I hope that with the money I get from it I can get the iPad for about $150. Then get the 5 after selling the 4. Hopefully all in all I spend $300 for 2 models instead of 400-500 by going from 3 to 5.

I know it's a little ridiculous, but I'm kind of using the 4 as a bridge just to get to the new design of the 5 if it actually happens of course :D

8. Karr271 macrumors regular

I went from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 (A4 processor to A6) and it was a huge jump. since the iPad 2 has the A5 and the iPad 4 has the A6X (the x meaning only quad core graphics) and at least twice as much ram, it'll be noticeably faster.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Had the 2 then 3. Def. a worthy upgrade. The screen is amazing.

10. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Thanks for the responses everyone! I ended up selling my iPad 2 on Amazon for $330 earlier today. I know I probably could have gotten a little bit more, but considering unused refurbished iPad 3s are going for $379 from Apple I'm very happy with that price. Cannot wait to preorder my iPad 4th generation tomorrow morning!