Resolved Is the iPad Air 2 peak iPad/tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vesuvio Cat, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

It seems to me that the iPad Air 2 could represent a peak in quality and popularity for the tablet market. It is such a light, well-powered, powerful tablet. For me, it has become something of a laptop killer with the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I can't imagine lugging around my rMBP while having this little beast.

The only possibility is that App developers really start pushing for more demanding games and programs.

Of course, it has irked me since 2009 that the iPad has no file management system. With all the compromises Apple has made over the vision of the company (fashion watches, cheap phones, mini tablets) since Steve passed, why must they remain intransigent about file management?

2. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Yeah, hardware is pretty much complete. All they need to do is make it more sturdy, and possibly add features like Force Touch.

3. theusualsuspect macrumors member

I think whenever the hardware capabilities are considerably more than software requirements, it feels "peak". Obviously the tablet market will continue to improve in hardware, but currently the software isn't driving the progress. For many people the iPad Air 1 is still very capable for most of their tasks.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

For many people the iPad 2 is still very capable for most of their tasks. :(

5. Jawnathin macrumors regular

Without anything disruptive coming down the pipeline (like iOS 7 was), it sure looks like it has the HW to keep it relevant for a long time.

With that said, you could make this same argument for many of the previous models when they were released.

6. RebornProphet Suspended

Agreed. Although I'm sure Apple will find a way via software to slow it down when needed.

I still don't believe for a second that the iPad Air is incapable of super smooth animations in Spotlight, Safari, and Siri with the transparency effects. They've simply made the Air that little bit more sluggish so the Air 2 looks smoother side by side.

These devices are so powerful now that an annual refresh simply isn't enough time to show a tangible and meaningful real world difference between new and previous models, so Apple needs to manufacture a difference via software.

Apple want people to buy the latest and most expensive model so they need something to happen at a quick glance that people notice when trying out in store. The 2GB of RAM and tab refreshing would only show it's worth in extended use in the home, but animations are instantly noticeable in store with a quick shot of each device.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Considering iPad sales are tanking. Down like 50% year to year. I would say the public isn't impress with iPad air 2.

It's not that iPad air 2 isn't great. It is hardware wise. But tablet market is saturated where people don't feel need to upgrade often.

I own every iPad. Yes. IPad air 2 is probably best iPad since iPad 2 in terms of improvement over previous generation. But even those with iPad 2 find very little reason to upgrade

8. RebornProphet Suspended

Every tablet manufacturer would be delighted with 12m units per quarter.

People really need to get a grip when it comes to iPad sales, and I include the technology press and media in that too.

Every single report fails to mention the single most important fact, which is that people simply do not upgrade their tablets as often as they do their smartphones. Yes there is a minority of the user base who upgrade every year but there are millions of people out there happily using iPad 2 as their daily tablet.

The iPad has reached maturity, it's not selling the way it did when it blazed onto the scene but it's still selling some 48 million units per 12 months (using the recent earnings call and 12m Q2 as an example).

Not bad for a device that people upgrade on average every 3 years.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

"
    It seems to me that the iPad Air 2 could represent a peak in quality and popularity for the tablet market."

Simply responding to OP that iPad Air 2 represents peak in popularity.

It simply is not popular judging by sales number.

10. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

2010 :p

11. RebornProphet Suspended

I guarantee that the majority of those 12m iPads sold in Q2 were Air 2's.

12 MILLION. In 3 months.

How many tablet manufacturers would kill for their tablets to be that "unpopular."

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes. 12 million is a lot. But in the OP's context of the iPad Air 2 being the "peak" tablet. No. Absolutely not peak. The peak has already happened.

Q2 2014 iPad sales were near 17 million. So put it in context with iPad Air 1 sales. We can safely assume iPad Air 1 sales made up the majority of the 17 million iPad sales during q2 2014.

The Op's comments about "peak" fails with iPad Air 2.

When iPad Air 2 is selling close to 5 million less units than iPad Air 1. It's not peak.

Look I own iPad Air 2 also. It's a great product. This isn't about talking bad about iPad Air 2.

It's that Apple has limited the iPad line where people don't see much advancement for them to go out and buy another iPad. So that why the argument that the iPad Air 2 represents the peak in iPad fails. It's simply not selling as well. Thus a bunch of sales.

Did you see many iPad 2 sales (discounts/gift cards)? No. iPad 2 represents the peak iPad timeline. There were huge backlogs. People had to wait 3-5 weeks for iPad to be delivered. It wasn't until June 2011 where one could walk into a store and get an iPad 2. Around 3 months after iPad 2 was released.

13. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I hate to burst your bubble but I spent time with the new $499 Surface 3 today. With the Pen (with integrated pen technology) and Lighted keyboard you can get things done while meshing with the enterprise world of Windows. My iPad Air 2 feels like a stone tablet... Now if you have 6 months and $1,400 or so, you will be able to buy an iPad "Pro" plus a stylus - Although based on the watch prices, if the iPen gets labels as "jewelry" the Stainless Steel iPen will be like $550.00.

14. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

I think the hardware is more than sufficient, but the software is lacking. Here's hoping iOS 9 will turn it all around for iPad.

15. finy macrumors member

I think it will peak when you can play PS4 quality games, run software like FCP + Photoshop, and watch 3D movies on it.

Still a long way to go.:D

16. RebornProphet Suspended

I'm pretty certain the OP meant "peak" in terms of form factor, power etc within the confines of the technology available at present. The sales don't need to be sky high to equate to the Air 2 being the peak iPad. In terms of size, weight, power, etc it is the peak iPad and being honest I don't see what else Apple can do with the iPad to make it much better other than change the screen size, alter the chassis, add a faster processor or a better camera.

As for iPad 2 queues and backlogs, come on. That's easily explained. The iPad was the first of its kind, people were falling over one another to get one. The sequel product was a new design and faster and the hype of the original carried through and multiplied into the iPad 2. The Air 2 not having backlogs is not anywhere near comparable to the iPad 2 back in 2011, simply because the iPad was in its infancy.

Remember how the original PlayStation blazed a trail? The hype and success of that product guaranteed the demand and success of the PlayStation 2, it was off the chart and demand out stripped supply. Sony had to introduce an official convoluted pre order scheme to stop madness at stores on launch day (I still have mine somewhere). Cut to today, the PS4 is the peak PlayStation model in terms of technology but it'll do well to match the sales of the PS2 (which it won't by the way).

The success of iPad 2 is typical of the sequel product to a new category/genre defining product. The Air 2 not having backlogs and lines is simply the sign of a matured product. That's all.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sales for the PS4 have surpassed those of the PS2 within the same time frame and on it's current path, should sell more than the PS2.

[​IMG]

18. RebornProphet Suspended

Interesting. Many believed the PS2 would never be beaten for sales, especially considering the console model has changed so much and many even believe it to be on the way out or due some kind of reinvention.

19. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Can confirm. Still using my release day iPad Air 1. Still a great device, couldn't see a reason to upgrade apart from the fact I'm doing more photo editing on it so more RAM would be beneficial, also the fact I went for Space Grey and I'd quite like a gold one. But this late in the cycle, it would be silly to switch to an iPad Air 2 right now. Likely gonna hold out to see what the iPad Air 3 offers at the end of the year, also to see if the fabled iPad Pro comes to fruition.

20. RebelScum macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the current generation tablet is the best tablet anyone will ever make? If so, then the answer is an emphatic NO, but only because there's no such thing as "peak" hardware, software, etc.

Nothing is the best there ever will be; it's only the best there's ever been.

Also, "peak" generally refers to a state when a commodity's demand outweighs its supply, so I find the OP confusing.

Regardless, enjoy your iPad 2 for now, but there's a better one coming. As there always will be.