iPad Is the iPad Air 2 worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AnthonyS621, Oct 30, 2014.

1. AnthonyS621 macrumors member

Ok, so I was contemplating upgrading to an iPad air 2. I currently have the very outdated ipad 2. The power of the iPad 2 doesn't bother me it is only the very bad screen that irks me. I use my iPad mainly for YouTube and movies and other video services. Also, is it worth getting the Air 1 instead? I was looking at the 64gb of either one and it seems as if the IPad air 2 is not much more expensive compared to the 1. I heard there was some display issues, but are they noticeable compared to the iPad 2?

EDIT: also I should add that I would get the elusive rumoured iPad pro if that was even scheduled for a release

2. Angler macrumors regular

yes its worth the upgrade. go check one out and see for yourself.

3. AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably stop by best buy tomorrow to test it out, the screen on my iPhone 6 Plus spoiled me and now I feel as if I can see every pixel on my old iPad

4. Porterest macrumors newbie

Upgrade?

I was on the fence too, as my previous iPad was iPad 4. Wow! What a difference! The speed is amazing, and it's so light.

I agree in the endorsement, especially if you use it a lot.

5. Angler macrumors regular

Understood, there will be a big difference between the 2 and the air 2

6. AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was expecting a big difference and I need one also. I'll have to save up for a bit ill probably wait until Black Friday or some really good trade in deals. I have my iPad and my old iPhone 4s to trade in, both in near perfect condition. I could get about $150 for my iPad and I'm unsure about my phone. Along with the 10% coupon for BB that everyone is talking about I could get the price down to about 300. Hopefully best buy has a good deal on it soon

----------

Oh and another thing, how does the battery fair against the IPad 2 if anyone recently upgraded from it

7. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Yes. It's certainly "worth it" for what you do with it. Media watching should have screen quality as a priority, I think. If you had an iPad 4 or above it might not be worth it, but in your case, it definitely is.

The weight will shock you the most, though, I think.

8. AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I hope it's a big difference, this iPad 2 gets heavy to hold for an extended period

9. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It's an absurd difference. My last full-sized iPad was the iPad 3, but I had used and toyed with an Air and I couldn't believe it — it was awesome, should be even better with the lighter Air 2.

10. AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

I can't wait! I also love the look of the airs much better than older models, I always hated the silver aluminum on the back

11. YoungTheKing macrumors newbie

yeah, it has 2gb ram. it is well worth it plus best buy throws $50 extra if you trade ipad 2 for air 2.

12. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Yes it's worth the upgrade! Big time. Also, if you take it into Best Buy they'll take your iPad 2 and give you $200 towards the iPad Air 2.

You'll love the weight, the size, and the screen. It's even better than the original iPad Air screen.

Upgrade!

14. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Just get the Air 2. It's amazing! And it's the upgrade that will last a LONG time because of the Ram and processor in this thing. It's so damn fast!

15. dantracht macrumors 6502

dantracht

For an iPad 2, it's worth the upgrade, although check out the speakers before buying, the vibration is annoying for sure.

For an iPad 4 and above, no it is not worth the upgrade.

16. AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

I use earbuds I have only used sound twice on my iPad 2

17. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I had an iPad 3 and it's been worth the upgrade for me. I love the new size and weight and its a much faster device than the 3. I must admit that sometimes the thinness throws me off a little and I feel I have to be a little more gentle with it but it's a much more comfortable device to use. I have yet to put it in a case of any kind but I'm working on that. Overall I'm very happy I made the upgrade.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Anyone with an iPad other than an Air should certainly upgrade without hesitation. Air owners, IMO can skip it though unless you are addicted to the latest devices.

19. audiohippo macrumors newbie

Defiantly with upgrading from IPad 2. I just moved from iPad 3. So much nicer and faster to use.

----------

Agreed. If you own an Air already, it's just upgrading for the sake of it.

20. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Upgraded from an Air, but I have to agree it really isn't a necessary upgrade.

However, once you have and get used to the extra speed there's no going back.

If you've got some cash to splash then I recommend you upgrade, otherwise stick with the very capable Air.

21. radioking macrumors regular

FYI, the movers coupon is not valid on Thanksgiving weekend.

22. AnthonyS621, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

Ok i think it's decided, if I did the math correctly(and hopefully I did) the total for the iPad i was it is about $250. 600 base price- $60 for movers coupon-$200 for iPad 2 trade in with best buys deal- about $110 for my old iPhone 4s the total comes to $278( because of the 8% sales tax). If I did this all correctly I am getting a massive deal on this iPad!

23. Audiotic macrumors newbie

Moved today from the Air 1 to the 2. It's better in detail. But enough to make this the best and most pleasant-to-use iPad ever. Ever! So yes, if you can spare it (and move the older one maybe to your spouse :) ) definitively yes, worth it.

24. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Are you looking for a bigger screen or for a laptop replacement? For a true tablet - the Pro would be more a tablet Mac IMO - the 9.7-inch iPad is just perfect really. I guess it might irk you a bit if you're watching a lot of movies on it though - since it has the 3x4 aspect ratio and not the HD 16:9.

I hate widescreen with a passion myself... its just not usable and practical for consuming Web content, reading, working on docs, etc. So glad the rMBP is still on a 16:10 and the iPad is on a 3:4 personally.

As for the Air 2 - if you want to upgrade your iPad 2 now's the perfect time really.

25. AnthonyS621 thread starter macrumors member

It really is the perfect time for it, I always hated best buy with a passion ; they always seemed really over priced to me. Now they have the best deals out there