Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThugZilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
I just bought an iPad yesterday and so far I love it. But I have a question, how scratch resistant is thew back? If I charge it on carpet will the back get scratched up?

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Carpet should be no problem, but other surfaces might be an issue. The main reason IMO for a case is to make it easier to hold.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I recommend the Belkin Grip Vue that they sell at the apple store. It's clear so you can still enjoy the beauty of the iPad, but it gives it the extra grip and protection that's needed.

Soldout

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Nothing is scratch resistant, is it?

I found the iPad too slick to keep a firm grip on 100% of the time, so I came up with a solution that works well.

I cut out three strips of non skid (the kind used for stairs) that are about 5"x1/8", and I affixed them about 1/4" from the sides and bottom, on the back. They provide the perfect grip!

Just sayin'. :cool:

bperrella

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.484 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I find that the back scratches VERY easily. I've been very careful and already have two light scratches. I just ordered a case off ebay that is similar to the belkin grip they sell at the apple store, hopefully it will work out.

vertigo78

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
No. Ive already have two scratches. I think it happened when i was using flat on a table. It was annoying but what can i do know. Ive accepted it. I like using a neked ipad. I knew it would happen eventually. Just frustrated it happened so soon.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I've found it pretty durable, but you put it down on things a lot more than you do, say, a MBP, which is what the material is like (I assume). (MBP's have feet, of course.)

I use the Apple case when carrying around (at the office, etc.), but it's a pain to remove to use in the dock, which I do for use at my desk, charging, etc.

The Belkin clear case sounds good, but can it be put in the dock while using it?

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Take a look at the Switcheasy NUDE. There is a thread for it in the accessories forum.

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego
I've found it pretty durable, but you put it down on things a lot more than you do, say, a MBP, which is what the material is like (I assume). (MBP's have feet, of course.)

I use the Apple case when carrying around (at the office, etc.), but it's a pain to remove to use in the dock, which I do for use at my desk, charging, etc.

The Belkin clear case sounds good, but can it be put in the dock while using it?

does not work with the case on

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010

I found the iPad too slick to keep a firm grip on 100% of the time, so I came up with a solution that works well.

I cut out three strips of non skid (the kind used for stairs) that are about 5"x1/8", and I affixed them about 1/4" from the sides and bottom, on the back. They provide the perfect grip!

You have to take a picture of that. Sounds like you put strips of tape om the back if your iPad!!!
Just buy a case bro. You already spent at least 500 dollars. Just fork over the rest. You are almost there.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I found a black silicone case (with a circular hole cut out in the back to expose the apple) on Ebay for 1 cent plus $6 for shipping from Hong Kong. I waited three weeks for it but it arrived two days before the iPad. Perfect. It's definitely not fancy but it fits snugly and the grip assures it won't fall outta my hands.

It's temporary until I find the perfect case. But because of it there is no rush.

INeedAMacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
on the back of the ipad is it like shiny and scratchy like the ipod touch or has it got a texture to it like a unibody macbook pro?

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007

DLC Coatings are high end japanese watches are nearly scratch proof, you will need probably a high quality diamond to scratch it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

also anything that is HARDER than aluminum will scratch the back

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The aluminum seems to be fairly resistant to scratches but the black plastic Apple is vulnerable. I took mine out of its case and set it down on a magazine to apply a screen protector. Little did I know the magazine was covered with a layer of dust. Ooops. I heard the gritty sound as I moved the iPad. The aluminum didn't have any scratches, but I think I can see a tiny contact mark on the Black Apple. Not bad considering.

Just for kicks I rubbed the back of my iPhone on the magazine and it was covered with small hairline scratches afterward. I can't believe a little dust could be so gritty. That's NYC pollution for you--and to think I breathe that stuff. *sigh*

It's pretty much impossible to avoid small scratches I think in the long term. Even with a case, if a little grit gets in there (and it always does) it'll rub up against it and probably scratch it. The display models in stores have small scratches on the back as well--one had a dent.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
It's pretty much impossible to avoid small scratches I think in the long term. Even with a case, if a little grit gets in there (and it always does) it'll rub up against it and probably scratch it.
Guaranteed grit inside of a case will scratch, and it'll be more severe than just a little scuff you get from setting it down on a table because that dust is sitting in there grinding away at the Ipad's finish. I finally removed my case from my Iphone because of this, and since it's been naked, no new scuffs/scratches. Just be very careful of where and how you set the Ipad (and Iphone, for that matter) down and it'll be fine for a long time. I never slide it at all, I set it straight down and pick it straight up.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Yes, it's scratch resistant, and finger print resistant. It can be used as the front from either side. It will be a lot of fun. Oh, sorry. I misread. I thought it was asking about the new iPhone, and not the iPad.
Disregard.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Are you serious? Here's some advice - get some steel wool, and rub it all over the back. Scratch it all to hell... get it over with. Come to terms with it. Then, flip the thing around, and actually use it.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm going on 2 weeks now with the black silicone case with the round circle cut out in the back. No scratches whatsoever. I pretty much don't put it down on anything that it might scratch on though. It's always on my lap, on a magazine on the coffee table, propped up on an easel when it's charging or resting on our kitchen granite counter. Oh, and sometime in my car on the passenger seat too. Funny thing is,

I rarely look at the back so even if it were to scratch I wouldn't see it.

Like a new vehicle, it's bound to happen. And then when it does, life will go on. I've never had a scratch on any of my iPhones though and I'm going on 3 years with those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.