Is the ipad camera kit reliable ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrenchPB, May 16, 2012.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'd like to get an ipad camera kit to import the pics I've taken with my DSLR camera, delete the bad ones on the ipad, and then sync/export them to an Aperture project.

Would that work properly as advertised ? Would I lose resolution or quality in such a process ? Could I lose pictures by doing that little process ?

If this works great, I would use my ipad in my photography workflow to delete all the pictures I don't want to keep, and only import on my iMac the ones I want to keep or work with. My ipad would become my previewing device.

Once the pics will be on the iMac, I'll just delete them from the ipad, thus saving space.

Any known issue about the camera kit ?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

I bought a 3rd party one and it works great. Saved a few bucks as well.

3. dKran macrumors member

Yeah, I purchased a knock-off for about $3 on eBay, have not had a single issue importing.

4. spesholized macrumors newbie

It's reliable but transfer speed is very slow on the iPad 1. If you have iPad 2 or 3 it's a lot faster.

5. Getitdone macrumors member

I've used both adapters of the Apple Camera Connection Kit (usb and sd card) with 3 different cameras (DSLR and Point and Shoots) for about 6 months now and have had no problems at all importing photos and videos to the iPad.

I've had PhotoStream inconsistencies/failures in the past so I don't depend on that method of moving pictures...but the connection kit has worked flawlessly.

6. Hieu macrumors member

Is it possible to put the pics we transfer to the iPad back on to the SD card or flash drive?

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The imported photos are not erased from the SD card unless you want them erased.

You cannot transfer photos on the iPad back to the SD card.

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Only of you format your card before shooting.... In the camera.

9. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I've used it a few times before. Always worked pretty well for me :)

10. BiteMyApple macrumors member

BiteMyApple

Others have already answered, but owning the official Apple kit on the iPad 2, I can also tell you it works just great. And don't forget that you can also use it to import HD video from your iPhone straight to your iPad as well. Takes a while, but works perfectly.

11. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

12. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

This, however, isn't true of all copies. The one at, say, http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Connection-Adapter-MicroSD-Reader/dp/B004J22FM6 doesn't work for more than 2-3 minutes with my iPads.

All in all, I'd stay away from third-party adapters. Fortunately, Apple's own adapters aren't that expensive.