Is the iPad getting very hot in operation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacXavier, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MacXavier macrumors newbie

Is the surface on the back getting very hot when in use? Is it uncomfortable or just fine?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I haven't noticed any heat on ours. I've used it for hours at a time too. Now there is a case on it so I wouldn't notice probably but do not expect any heat on it.

3. Lou E. Ville macrumors member

4. bob2222 macrumors newbie

No Heat

no heat to speak of at all, very cool.

5. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I'm shocked, but NO heat, even after a few hours of use.

By comparison my iPhone 3GS gets very warm.

6. msduncan macrumors 6502

No heat with mine either, and it's in the apple case constantly.

7. 0101001 macrumors 6502

8. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

9. b00st3d macrumors member

b00st3d

Mine gets warm while watching a lot if YouTube videos only after an hour or so. If I'm just surfing the web or listening to music it does not get hot at all. I don't know if it makes a difference but I am using a belkin clearvu case on it.

10. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Mine may have got ever so slightly warm once or twice when watching videos, but generally the thing is cold!

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think it all depends on the surface (air flow) behind the back.

If I lay it on the bed, then yes, the back does get a little warm. Not hot, just slightly warm to the touch (as you would expect really)

If you are holding it in your hands and the back it full exposed to the air, then I guess the heat would dissipate and not be noticeable to touching it.

So, yes, if you are actually insulating it (soft bed cover) then there will be a little warmth to the back.

12. wordfanne macrumors newbie

103.8 F , precisely

Infrared thermometer scan, and has charged all the long way to 47% after only six hours! How do you spell " rushtolaunch"??!:mad:

13. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Slightly warm with wifi only, very warm with LTE.

14. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I played Sky Gamblers today for about 3 hours (great game). The iPad didn't warm up at all.

15. luckyknine macrumors newbie

I owned the first gen iPad prior to the new iPad "3". Regarding the heating issues some people have or perceive. I do not have ANY heating issues....in fact I just ran two music video for a total of 4 hours and you could not detect any heating, let alone warming of the iPad....anywhere!

I guess if you have one the clearly is getting HOT, I'd run it by Apple and consider a replacement. But sometimes the mere mention of an "issue" by someone brings gobs of people to believe they have this problem....maybe an iPadochondriac condition.

Enjoy this thing....yes there are some units that clearly have a problem and that should be addressed, but don't through it out because it MIGHT have symptom that you weren't even aware of until you heard someone else complain.

Needless to say, I love mine, but would pursue issues if I had a CLEAR, defined problem.....not a potential, based on uncertainty.

16. Muddypawz macrumors newbie

Mine got hot during the first day's use but hasn't since then.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you are running your screen brightness at 100% and or play video intensive games, your iPad should get warm but not hot:rolleyes:

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

19. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

My iPad has yours beat:
    [​IMG]

I think most of the people who report no heat aren't running at 100% brightness.

Also, are you using your iPad whilst charging? If you leave it off while charging it should charge in about 5 hours with the 10w charger.

20. Tron72 macrumors member

Tron72

Mine definitely gets very warm, bordering on hot. I keep mine at 100% brightness though. I'm so used to my iPhone 4 screen that my new iPad always feels dim. Not sure if I got a bad one or not. The screen seems bright in the center but then the brightness appears to get dimmer as it gets closer to the bezel.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I use mine on 100% brightness and it does get warm on the bottom left in portrait mode. I've kinda had to flip it upside down to use to counteract this. I might try 75% brightness, we'll see.

People should run at 100% brightness for an hour or so, then report back.

22. Tron72 macrumors member

Tron72

Ok, now it's getting actually hot. Just played Modern Combat 3 at 100% brightness for an hour. It got so hot I had to flip landscape mode from one side to the other. I'm a little concerned now but will give a day or so to see if this is normal here on the threads or if I should swap it for another.