Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I have 3 sizes, 12.9” 3rd gen, iPad Pro 10.5 and mini 5.
I love the mini for portability and reading. My intention was to use the mini to take places and the 12.9 at home, but I often find myself using the mini at home too. I don’t mind Touch ID or the bezels on the mini, but would still like to see a Pro version in the future. I’d love to use the camera on it more for photos and video too if it had a better camera.
I think it sounds like you would be close to filling a 64GB iPad if your 12.9 is anything to go by. I’d consider getting the 256GB to enable plenty of room for future use and new iPadOS releases that might take up more room.

Reactions: Telesmurfen

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I have a similar set up as the OP. I have an 11” ipad pro, iphone XS Max and i do have the ipad mini. I just updated my ipad mini 2 with the ipad mini 5. I too was hoping for a new design with apple pencil 2 support but when that didn’t happen, i just bought the ipad mini 5. I figure it took apple over 3 yrs to update the ipad mini 4...so who knows if it will take them another 3 yrs...if ever...to update it again. For all i know, the ipad mini 5 may be the last update ever. So i Bought one with zero regrets.

What i love about the mini is exactly what you wrote. It fills the gap btwn the phone & ipad pro nicely. Just as Portable but with a bigger more enjoyable screen than the biggest iphone.

I would upgrade again if Apple does redesign it with the flat edged apple pencil 2 design of the ipad pro. But who knows if that will ever happen.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Hi!
I have read just about every thread about the iPad mini, and I know it’s up to me to decide in the end, but I’m still asking for some advice (preferably based on experience).
On my wrist, I wear the Apple Watch, which is great for checking notifications, calendar appointments, activity, etc, without having to pick up my phone.
My phone is an iPhone XS Max, which offers me everything I need from a phone. Love the size, the functions, and have nothing to complain about. It fills most of my needs on-the-go.
For a bigger iOS-screen, I use an iPad Pro (2018) 12.9. It’s a great device for Netflix, YouTube, browsing, photo editing, text editing, and so on.
My iPad is great for everything, except portability and easy one-handed use.
I like to read e-books and do some occasional gaming.
And this is where I feel there’s a gap in my “device collection”..
My phone sometimes feels to small for e-books and magazines, while my iPad 12.9 feels too big (I have to lay it down on a surface to use it comfortably, being a sofa, the bed or a table).
Will the iPad mini 5 be a good attribution to my set-up? The only thing holding be back is its old design, with thick bezels, Touch ID, and the feeling that it just looks outdated. It’s also using the first generation Apple Pencil. As I’m used to the new iPad, which has thin bezels, Face ID, four speakers, etc, is it likely that I’ll be satisfied with what the mini has to offer (for the uses mentioned earlier), or do you think I’ll be better off with something like the iPad Pro 11, which on paper seems much better, but might still be a bit on the large size, too expensive and too heavy (and maybe overkill) for using comfortably as an e-book/gaming device?

The short answer is: yes, the Mini 5 fits very nicely into an Watch-iPhone-iPP 12.9" group. I sold my Mini 4 so that I could edit or update work done with the Pencil on my 2018 12.9". It's not absolutely perfect, but it's close.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Another big thank you to all who has contributed to this thread so far. I just checked my iPad 12.9 and I have used 52GB of 256, so I reckon maybe 64GB will be enough for my use. As for bezels, I’ve always opted for black, as I think that’s better for images and videos. And with the new dark mode coming in PadOS, I might go with black again. So, it looks like I’m not the only one thinking that an iPad in each end of the spectrum is a good option. Glad to see that I’m not crazy.. ;) I might end up with an iPad mini as a summer gift to myself soon.

To elaborate a little, from my perspective. The Plus/Max phones just don't replace an iPad - landscape doesn't work as effectively and there's no pencil support if that's important, but mostly the display size is very limiting. I also think the Mini does something that other iPads can't - it really works one-handed.

As I said, the Mini 5 isn't perfect. The bezels are a little disconcerting (definitely get black to reduce that). Not having FaceID is actually a bummer if you really get used to it on the iPP. And gen 2 Pencil support would have been nice, but gen 1 is a huge plus if you're using the Pencil to do work on the iPP. Oh, and may I say that it's nice after FOUR generations of Mini to have a current SoC in the Mini!

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Have the 11" and the Mini 5. I got cellular in the Mini 5 for the GPS and ended up activating cellular. Very fast little device. And I prefer white bezels for keeping fingerprints and smudges at bay. It goes on trips with me and to and from work in the backpack. Great little device.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Definitely love my ipad mini 5. Its my go to device when i want to travel fast and light but get artwork done on the road. Yeah, i do wish it was compatible with the apple pencil 2 that i use with my 11” ipad pro. I just love the simplicity of charging the #2. Charging the first gen apple pencil is just cumbersome & ridiculous in comparison. Having said that, the first gen pencil works great on the ipad mini 5.

I will definitely get my moneys worth on the ipad mini 5. But would upgrade in a heartbeat if apple gave the mini the same design of the pros with apple pencil 2 support. I do not expect that tho.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I have a 10.5” iPad Pro and an iPad mini 4. I used to take my iPad mini with me almost everywhere I went and used my iPad Pro for everything at home. But now my mini 4 is so sluggish and the battery life is so bad. I’ve been wanting to replace it with the iPad mini 5, but just haven’t come around to doing it yet. But I absolutely love the size for taking with me on the go.

On a side note, how is Touch ID a bad thing?

sallenthornton

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
I have the new mini 5 and an older 12.9. I also have the Max. Love the mini. It’s my go to iPad these days. The smaller size makes it easier to use in my house or out and about.

Last edited:

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Once again, a big thank you for all the posts in this thread. It sure has made the decision easier for me. I will try to find me a mini 5 as soon as I can, and try it out for myself. I could always return it if it doesn’t meet me expectations (though, after all this positive feedback, I can’t see why it wouldn’t). About Touch ID, I guess there’s nothing wrong with it, it just feels a little bit like “yesterday’s technology” after having used Face ID on both my Max and my iPad Pro. But it’s not going to be a dealbreaker.

Reactions: sallenthornton

sallenthornton

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Once again, a big thank you for all the posts in this thread. It sure has made the decision easier for me. I will try to find me a mini 5 as soon as I can, and try it out for myself. I could always return it if it doesn’t meet me expectations (though, after all this positive feedback, I can’t see why it wouldn’t). About Touch ID, I guess there’s nothing wrong with it, it just feels a little bit like “yesterday’s technology” after having used Face ID on both my Max and my iPad Pro. But it’s not going to be a dealbreaker.

I like the new design of the iPads, but I have honestly haven’t noticed the Touch ID being an inconvenience or limiting. I really like the mini. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

YonTom

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
Hi!
I have read just about every thread about the iPad mini, and I know it’s up to me to decide in the end, but I’m still asking for some advice (preferably based on experience).
On my wrist, I wear the Apple Watch, which is great for checking notifications, calendar appointments, activity, etc, without having to pick up my phone.
My phone is an iPhone XS Max, which offers me everything I need from a phone. Love the size, the functions, and have nothing to complain about. It fills most of my needs on-the-go.
For a bigger iOS-screen, I use an iPad Pro (2018) 12.9. It’s a great device for Netflix, YouTube, browsing, photo editing, text editing, and so on.
My iPad is great for everything, except portability and easy one-handed use.
I like to read e-books and do some occasional gaming.
And this is where I feel there’s a gap in my “device collection”..
My phone sometimes feels to small for e-books and magazines, while my iPad 12.9 feels too big (I have to lay it down on a surface to use it comfortably, being a sofa, the bed or a table).
Will the iPad mini 5 be a good attribution to my set-up? The only thing holding be back is its old design, with thick bezels, Touch ID, and the feeling that it just looks outdated. It’s also using the first generation Apple Pencil. As I’m used to the new iPad, which has thin bezels, Face ID, four speakers, etc, is it likely that I’ll be satisfied with what the mini has to offer (for the uses mentioned earlier), or do you think I’ll be better off with something like the iPad Pro 11, which on paper seems much better, but might still be a bit on the large size, too expensive and too heavy (and maybe overkill) for using comfortably as an e-book/gaming device?

Get the Mini, not the iPad Pro 11. I was in your same situation when this last Mini was released a few months ago: I have the watch, the XS max and the 12.9” Pro. I decided to buy the Mini because the iPad Pro was just not portable enough but the XS Max was not productive enough (i.e. it’s not really a phablet, but just a big phone). I felt a bit guilty when I bought it and I was concerned that I wouldn’t be using it too much. Not the case. After a few months I love it. I would say it’s by far the best Apple device for reading and it hits the right spot between portability and productivity: I take it to meetings, take notes, check my calendar... And trust me, after a while, it will stop looking outdated because it is such a great device, and fast! Yes, the iPad Pro 11” is more premium, newer design, etc. but i would not recommend it for you: you would just be buying a smaller iPad 12.9” that would still not have the portability you want, so why bother. Just my 2 cents

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I like the new design of the iPads, but I have honestly haven’t noticed the Touch ID being an inconvenience or limiting. I really like the mini. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

I don't object to using TouchID on the Mini, but with FaceID on my phone and iPP there is always a little mental and ergonomic speed bump. It's not a big deal, but it's not non-existent, at least in my opinion. YMMV, of course.

One other little note on the Mini 5. I think the viewing angles are slightly narrower than the Mini 4. Again, not a big deal, especially for how I use it, and I think the other attributes of the new display make up for that, but it would be something to check out and make sure it's not an issue for you.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
The mini 5 is the choice for me. It's light enough to be a good book reader. And it has the new chips like its big siblings so it's fast and can do all the tricks. I use mine mostly in landscape mode. The keyboard is quite nicely sized in that orientation for 2 thumb typing.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i love the mini size.. for bed reading... gaming .. when im home... i use it more than my phone. i tried to use it outside but i still end up using my phone when commuting.. so i stick with wifi mini 5.
i have air 2... i seldom use that i find it heavy when i want to hold it in bed...

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
My iPad pro doesn't get a look in since I bought the new mini 5, perfect size and weight, I did use both recently and I was a bit surprised at the size of the pro, its just so ungainly, especially in the hand where the mini just feels right.
I don't think I’ll go back to anything bigger from now on, the pro features drew me into the bigger size but it wasn't worth it in the end, portability of the mini more than makes up for that, hopefully a 6th gen will be available with stereo speakers and maybe a bezel-less screen, I’d settle for the speakers though.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have an se instead of a max—that being the only difference from your situation, I think the mini fills the gap between my phone and 12.9 expertly. At home it’s my go-to device for all quick tasks and all consumption except shows/movies I prefer to watch on my tv. I have a couple pop sockets on the back of the mini to make it a better one-handed device—makes it so that I can hold it for hours. No other iPad can compare for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.