All iPads Is the iPad Mini alright as a media device? Or iPad 5 better?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kauai, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I'm primarily looking to use my iPad for the following,

- Watching Netflix, Hulu, Anime & Movies almost every night in bed.
    - Reading Kindle books on.
    - Couch & Bed web surfing when my laptop is not convenient.

Do you think the iPad Mini would be good for these uses? I'm just not sure if I should spring for an iPad 5 since 2 (Video&Web) of my uses would probably be improved by it, but then I think I've been content to watch 1-2 episodes of shows in bed on my iPhone...so, plus the iPad Mini is cheaper if I just spring for the 16GB Wifi whereas with the iPad 5 I'd be tempted to go more memory and cellular if I'm already spending the big bucks.

I'm not a very mobile user though, so would the lightness be lost on me? I've owned an iPad 1, 2 and 3 for what it's worth, though the 3 is basically my Mom's now.

So for those of you who don't want to read my ramblings, feel free to simply answer the title question. Thank you for any and all opinions that help me make my choice for tomorrow! :)

EDIT; Oh and despite my signature, I have a 15' RMBP now, so I think the iPad mini might differentiate more, too.

2. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

The mini retina will be your best bet followed by the original mini if you don't want to wait for the mini retina to come out/be available.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have an iPad and an iPad Mini. I prefer the iPad over the mini only because of screen real estate.

4. bobright macrumors 601

Depending on your budget that's the only reason I could see to get a mini, the full size ftw

5. Lolaroxie macrumors newbie

You definitely sound like you want the iPad Mini, get it!

6. Seniordan macrumors regular

The only time I really liked using my mini was in bed, the rest of the time I found myself wishing I had the full size.

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

In bed, the Mini is manageable. The full size iPad is cumbersome at best. I have both, and can't use the iPad 4 in bed (6'1", 190lbs).

8. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I use my mini for almost all my media entertainment. I have a slingbox and MLBtv that I watch religiously on the mini. Movies also. I used to do all the same with a full sized iPad. I would NOT go back to the full size. I will upgrade to retina if it comes out, but even that is not a must as the 1st gen mini is excellent.

9. Atrin1 macrumors regular

I love Kauai. The island that is.

Both iPads are great. Just personal preference on the size

10. kaielement macrumors 65816

Thing to keep in mind is portability. If you want more protablity go with mini. If you want bigger screen and are OK with bigger device go full size. I mean for me the full size works for me and I don't mind it being bigger because I like the bigger screen. I have a deticated messenger bag for my iPad which helps. Just something to think about.

11. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Seems like you're using the iPad mostly at home. If that's the case, I'd get the full size. Unless I really value portability, I'd get the device with the bigger screen real estate. Everything else can be covered by a phone or a PC