Is the iPad picky with wifi, or is my router crap?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I have both an iPad 2 and an iPod Touch, and at home, I have issues with both of them connecting to my wireless router. It isn't a well-known brand router, and it is protected by WPA2. Sometimes they connect, and at other times, they just won't connect. I have to shut them down and turn them on again.

At work, however, there is another no-brand router protected by WEP (I know, I bugged my boss about it but she shrugged it off), and both connect to it marvelously.

On a side note, does the iPad usually connect quickly after leaving it on standby all night?

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Is it possibly a range issue?

I've never had issues with my iPhone/iPad not connecting to my router, but I'm using an AirPort extreme, so who knows.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

At home, the router is usually ten feet away at max, and I usually use my iPad a lot closer, at about two feet or so. At work, it is a bit farther at about twenty feet or so. So I don't think it is a range issue.

4. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Don't be, it isn't your router to begin with, and I did get it for a ridiculously cheap price.

Would you have any suggestions for decent routers? Preferably not horrendously expensive and something that works well with both Macs and Windows machines.

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I got the Apple Extreme wifi router, but that is horrendously expensive. I have had good luck with Linksys routers.

7. nwbusa macrumors regular

Honestly, if you can spend the money on it just get an Airport Extreme. I used to have tons of wifi issues with my old router, and finally I bit the bullet and got the AEBS. Solved everything. Maybe not the cheapest solution but it's effective.

8. apaulct macrumors newbie

I'm running an old, off-brand router too (but not stock firmware), connecting 2 iPod Touches (1g & 4g), iPad 2, and a netbook. I have good, solid connections even 50 feet away. When returning home, I'm greeted with the sound of push notifications before I get near the front door.

Details: the manufactures' firmware, even updated to latest version, was crap. Lost connection frequently & had to reboot at least weekly cause it lost the radio. I installed dd-wrt on this baby and voila, no more problems. Connections are very stable & haven't lost the radio since. Obviously, the hardware was great but the manufactures' firmware was the problem. The solution works for me ... since the router was free after 100% rebate. dd-wrt is also free, open source software.

Suggestion: google router mfg name + model # + "dd-wrt". If it's supported, download and give it a go. The router you save maybe your own :)

9. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Huh. I never knew that a router's firmware could have so much influence on how good or bad it is.

Given that mine is off-brand, I don't know whether it will work, but I figure I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

On a side note, I read some reviews for the Airport Extreme Base Station doesn't play well with Windows PCs. Can anyone corroborate?

10. RayK macrumors 6502

I've had very good luck with dd wrt. I have a time capsule, airpot extreme and express and they play very well with all windows xp and later in my house. Shouldnt be a problem.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've owned tons of routers over the years and never have I had one as utterly worry free and reliable as the Airport Extreme. Even at $180, it's a bargain, especially if you factor in all the other routers you'll waste money on leading up to, and ending with, the AEBS.

Oh and the iPad definitely treats flakey routers with equally flakey connectivity.