Is the iPad really retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Mar 14, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

My friend keeps telling me it's not retina. I am not tech savy person but he said retina is 300ppi and iPad is 264, so it's not "really" retina. Retina is the iPhone 4S. I'm confused now :confused:

2. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Apple posted some formula they used to calculate based on viewing distance and such. Since you hold the iPad at around 15" instead of 10" with the iPhone, I think it was something like 250 DPI is sufficient to achieve the same visual acuity as 10" at 326 DPI.

It doesn't matter at the end, it'll look gorgeous. I bet money he won't be able to differentiate between 250 DPI, 300 DPI, or 326 DPI.

Your friend sounds uptight and needs to get laid.

3. qCzar macrumors regular

Retina has not be defined to be 300DPI or above. It's just marketing. Technically Retina means that when held in front of you at optimal viewing distance, you can't see the pixels in the screen. Hold an iPhone 4/4s and an iPhone 3Gs in front of you at the same distance.

People will say Retina is 300DPI and above because when Retina was first introduced, the screen resolution was 300+DPI. But in reality, it's all based on optimal viewing distance and pixel density.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Retina is a term that refers to the point that a normal human eye can no longer see individual pixels at a normal distance from the screen. So for an iPhone, that distance is ~10 inches, and that is where the 300ppi number comes from. For an iPad, since it's held at a farther distance most of the time (~15 inches), doesn't have to have as high of a density to still be considered Retina. Hence why 264ppi is still enough to be considered Retina.

Steve Jobs explained it in the iPhone 4 keynote, and Phil Schiller backed it up in the new iPad's keynote.

EDIT: Damn, I need to learn how to type faster... lol

5. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Tell you friend to watch the keynote and jump to the 26 min mark. The math of the iPad retina display is explained better than i could do it without diagrams.

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

And adjusting it to distance makes perfect sense. Does noone else remember being told you can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on X size TV from Y distance? Retina concept before Apple added the name....

8. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

Apple invented the term.

So if Apple says its retina....it is.