Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingleDuvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
The iphone 3G CPU is not fast enough for a pleasant web browsing experience.

It takes a relatively long time to load a page, even though my internet connection is 20mbit.

Can the iPad load webpages as fast as a macbook (or other ordinary computer)?

Do you feel a delay of any kind compared to your normal web browsing experience?

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

It takes a relatively long time to load a page, even though my internet connection is 20mbit.

Do you feel a delay of any kind compared to your normal web browsing experience?

Yes. Don't buy an iPad ever. And most importantly, never, ever read the reviews regarding the performance of the iPad and how great it is for browsing the web.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
For web browsing it's great. For PDF's on the other hand, even with good reader it's shockingly slow.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
At home I am connected via wireless "n" and in coffee shops usually by "g" and find the speed faster than my MacBook. When on 3G I have the expected slower but adequate time downloading pages.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009

I think the 3G's CPU is likely more than adequate.

But your iPhone connection to your router isn't at 20 mBit. The iPhone 3G isn't capable of more than 4-5 mbit/sec, as born-out by multiple tests. Do a Google search. And I've confirmed this myself.

Sadly, no, and I don't know exactly why. May be limits on the number of simultaneous downloads.

I doubt that it is CPU speed, though. I've gotten up to 30mbit/sec in speed tests on the iPad. I haven't done a proper test, though, to see what the speed is to a local server - justd one of those "Internet speed tests" that are essentially useless. (You can be sure that you are getting AT LEAST the number that you get from the test, but it CAN'T tell you the MAXIMUM speed, because there are too many factors outside of your control).

SingleDuvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I watched a review video where it took an iPad 16 seconds to load CNN.com via wifi.

It took 4 seconds to load CNN.com on my macbook =/
(my first time to go to that website)

I guess it is unacceptable then. I'll have to wait for the next version, hopefully it is faster.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
It's not just download speeds, the device also has to do a certain amount of rendering of the html (etc) code. In this sense I'm not sure why people would expect mobile devices to be as fast as the CPU on a laptop or desktop computer.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I watched a review video where it took an iPad 16 seconds to load CNN.com via wifi.

I guess it is unacceptable then. I'll have to wait for the next version, hopefully it is faster.

Something is wrong with that video then. I load cnn.com on my iPad in 3-5 seconds. This is over wireless N to to a 15M FIOS connection.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

You connection is screwed or something. I have a 200Mbps connection and CNN loads in about 4 seconds. My MBP is faster but still less than 6 seconds is pretty fast. Both are running the N standard. You can always turn off all security and get rid of the overhead associated with wifi. This should gain some speed as well as some unwelcome friends.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Speed is more than adequate here on pretty much every site I visit. Why? No loading of Flash and Java crapplets. It would be even faster if Mobile Safari had an adblocking plugin.

It absolutely flies if I go through the Glimmerblocker proxy on my iMac.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
It's important to note that although pages may load fairly quickly they'll need to reload often (in Safari) because of the caching problem.

I doubt the OP was ever seriously considering getting an iPad.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
If I remember correctly the 3G iPhone has a 600mhz processor ... The iPad 1ghz and the ipad has double the memory so yes it does surf faster.

It definitely seems faster than my 3GS (800mhz)

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I'm waiting for that, 200/200 glassfibre.
That will beat the *&^%$$##)) out of my ADSL 10mb connection :D

Ow and on-toppic: in europe the CNN website did take me around 6 seconds on my macbook pro via an N-connection and around 9 seconds on the ipad with the same n-connection.
Not bad for a small 1GHz processor I guess.

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
If the browsing experience on the ipad was unacceptable
I don't think they would sell many.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
My iPad is definitely slower loading webpages, sometimes annoyingly slow. This is readily evident when you scroll down and see a couple of seconds of a grid of an unloaded page. After a couple of seconds it loads, then you scroll down again and there is the grid again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.