Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I recently noticed my iPhone 14 Pro battery health was already down to 96% percent. Purchased in Oct so it's not exactly new but my wife's iPhone 13 Mini is still at 100% battery health which was purchased last August. I feel like in years past at about 6 months my iPhone's health was still circa 100%. My wife also uses her phone considerably more than I use mine. I've also seen a lot of iPhone users on facebook saying similar things about their iPhone 14 Pros as well. Are the 14 Pro internals hard on the battery?

How is your batter life?

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I think there are too many variables to make sweeping predictions. Screen time, charging cycles, app loads, etc. Until recently my wife and I both had identical iPhone 12s purchased on the same day. After two years my battery health was 86% and hers was 95%. Mine had more charging cycles, but I rarely fully charged to 100% while my wife charged to 100% every single day.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
From what I understand, battery degradation is tied to heat; the hotter the battery gets, the more quickly it degrades. Fast charging, wireless charging, gaming while charging, etc. will all gradually contribute to it.

Reactions: sorgo †

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
From what I understand, battery degradation is tied to heat; the hotter the battery gets, the more quickly it degrades. Fast charging, wireless charging, gaming while charging, etc. will all gradually contribute to it.
I lost more battery health much faster trying all the tricks (slow 5w charging, 80%, etc etc) and babying my battery than I did ignoring the battery health and just charging it with an Apple fast charger when I felt like it and 100% every night.

Made no sense and I realized what a waste of time that was to monitor my battery.

smooth0906

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I lost more battery health much faster trying all the tricks (slow 5w charging, 80%, etc etc) and babying my battery than I did ignoring the battery health and just charging it with an Apple fast charger when I felt like it and 100% every night.

Made no sense and I realized what a waste of time that was to monitor my battery.
I agree. I did the same.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
mine is at 99%, had it since launch day, charge it over night on magsafe, never goes below 50% during the day, have turned off battery optimization

Reactions: TechNerdQueen

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
My intro day 14PM is still at 100%. I think my last three phones were the same when I traded them.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
Bought my pro max Sept 28th and currently have 107 charge cycles. Still 100% but I expect it will start dropping in the next months

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
It's time to stop obsessing over the battery health, I don't even look at it anymore. I have no idea what % my iPhone battery health is at. When the battery becomes noticeably worse, then I'll buy a new battery. Until then, I don't care.
This is a public forum. You're free to post anything pertaining to Apple. But please don't tell others what to post. You can feel free to move on if you don't like a thread.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I recently noticed my iPhone 14 Pro battery health was already down to 96% percent. Purchased in Oct so it's not exactly new but my wife's iPhone 13 Mini is still at 100% battery health which was purchased last August. I feel like in years past at about 6 months my iPhone's health was still circa 100%. My wife also uses her phone considerably more than I use mine. I've also seen a lot of iPhone users on facebook saying similar things about their iPhone 14 Pros as well. Are the 14 Pro internals hard on the battery?

How is your batter life?
I feel you, I’m having the same issue. My 12 pro dropped to 97% after a year and a half but my launch day 14 pro is at 98% already. I notice after charging it and unplugging it and leaving it on my desk overnight by the time I wake up in the morning it’s at 85%. Never had this issue on any of my iPhones in the past. Something is off with this phones battery or something. I’m not even a power user. My sister who has her phone attached to her at all times is and she’s at 100% according to the phone.

Reactions: rockitdog

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Battery health is a direct correlation to charging behaviour. Heat is bad for batteries. Fast charging or using a more powerful charger is often a main reason for fast health depletion.

On both my 13 Pro, my launch day 14 Pro and even my old original SE my battery has never dropped below 98% using the 5w charger left overnight and that was the SE! Both Pro models are still sat at 100% health.

No special charging habits, no unplugging at 80% etc…

Reactions: MacBookPro17inch

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
October iPhone 14 Pro Max here with battery health still showing 100%.

I just do not care about charging, I charge when I need to (like when going on a trip, give it a full charge regardless of how much it's got left at that point) and if I do, I only use third party USB-C fast chargers (65W) from UGreen and Anker.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MacBookPro17inch

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2021
Battery health is a direct correlation to charging behaviour. Heat is bad for batteries. Fast charging or using a more powerful charger is often a main reason for fast health depletion.

On both my 13 Pro, my launch day 14 Pro and even my old original SE my battery has never dropped below 98% using the 5w charger left overnight and that was the SE! Both Pro models are still sat at 100% health.

Is this really the key? My 13 Pro Max stayed at 100% for 10 months of use. MagSafe only but never charged to 100%.
Phone def. heats up when using MagSafe.

However, I can imagine, that it takes ages until the 14 Pro Max is fully charged via 5w.

Back then with the iPhone 8 Plus, I've been using the 5w brick only but always charged to 100%.
Battery health dropped much quicker.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012

My understanding is that the iPhone regulates the charging, so using a more powerful charger is negated since the phone throttles the amount of charge it actually receives. Therefore, the phone's battery doesn't see the total 30W from the charger, but only what is allowed.

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
The battery size listed for iPhones is actually the minimum size a battery can be. The actual mAh rating is higher. Sometimes it’s a little higher, sometimes more. My 14PM, according to the analytics that Apple measures daily, was 4559 mAh brand new. It will take awhile before it reaches the minimum rated capacity when new of 4323 mAh. Until that time, it will show 100% battery health.

Aside from charging habits, that’s the main reason why one phone can stay at 100% longer than another.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The battery size listed for iPhones is actually the minimum size a battery can be. The actual mAh rating is higher. Sometimes it’s a little higher, sometimes more. My 14PM, according to the analytics that Apple measures daily, was 4559 mAh brand new. It will take awhile before it reaches the minimum rated capacity when new of 4323 mAh. Until that time, it will show 100% battery health.

Aside from charging habits, that’s the main reason why one phone can stay at 100% longer than another.
You are correct! It’s not health only but capacity and Apple will never show more than 100 percent.

But here is something else.

I was a beta tester on my iPhone 12 PM. I had an unusual glitch in one of the OS and it dropped the battery health below 100 just like that! But apparently Apple will not allow it to go back up so it just stayed there for over half a year before it started going down again.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022

Same with mine. Was 4579 new and is now at 4335. So I am assuming it will get below 100 within the next month or so. Launch day 14 pro max

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
How do you guys measure it? Coconut battery?
I’ve never used a Mac so I go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data > then choose the file with “Analytics” on the most recent date. Note that these files will not be created unless you click on allowing to share your phone and watch analytics. If you don’t share, the files won’t be created daily.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I have a 14 Pro Max launch day phone, my battery is at 97%, which kind of surprised me. But I am using a wireless charger stand, and I understood that wireless charging will take a larger toll on the battery.

Reactions: Clamjuice65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.