Is the iPhone 2g and 3G still a valid iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samk8000, Jan 18, 2011.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I want to get a used iPhone and this is what I can afford. I really just want to take them apart more than anything. Would there be good?

2. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Sure an iPhone 3G is a little laggy, but just fine and also very affordable.

3. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

What about 2g?

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The original iPhone was never updated to iOS 4.x. As such, there are a few known security vulnerabilities in iOS 3.x that remain unpatched on that device. (Specifically, the PDF vulnerability which made jailbreakme.com possible -- but which could also potentially be used for malicious purposes against the user's consent.)

If you plan on jailbreaking your device anyway, you may be able to patch some of those vulnerabilities using software that you can download after jailbreaking. However, if you plan on using your iPhone without jailbreaking, then I recommend you steer clear of the original iPhone for security reasons.

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I've had the original iPhone since 2007... works like a charm!

6. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

An Original iPhone on the latest iOS (3.1.3) will be snapper than an iPhone 3G on the latest iOS (4.2.1). Go with the Original iPhone if you can.

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Just be aware that with the original iPhone, many, many, many apps will run poorly or not even install at all. I'm still on mine, but will be upgrading very soon.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There was a short time when allot of apps were being made for only 4.0 and higher but soon they realized they were leaving out allot of people from being able to use their apps. They then released updates that still included 3.1.3. I haven't run into any apps that won't run on the original iPhone yet but I also don't buy many apps anymore. I think I've bought two in the last year. All updated apps I have run fine.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That and both run very slow compared to the 3GS and i4. I would never bother with 2G or 3G models again.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm pretty sure any iPhone is good for that. What does it matter what the specs are?

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure what you mea by "valid" but I have used both my 2G and 3G within the last few months, they both work fine.

13. KalashniKEV macrumors member

I still run a 3G, but it's unbearably laggy and crashes constantly.

IF there were legacy OS support then I would say yes, it used to be the perfect phone.

Now... If I stick with the iPhone line I plan on never, ever updating the iOS. Ever.

14. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You can always downgrade the 3G to 3.1.3, too. Pretty easy since Apple doesn't use SHSHs/no-downgrade-enforcement on the 3G with versions older than 4.0.

-- Nathan

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I still use my original 2G. It works just fine! I run into VERY FEW apps that I can either not run at all or perform less than desirably.

16. kevink2 macrumors 65816

The original iPhone can't support 3G speeds, and you can't do voice and data at the same time unless the data is WiFi.

17. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That's not entirely correct... while it is true that the iPhone 2G can't support 3G speeds, it does process voice and data while on Edge.

:apple:

18. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It's like any other EDGE phone:

- When you're in the middle of a phone call, you can only open up an EDGE cellular data session by disconnecting the phone call.
    - If you're in the middle of an EDGE cellular data session and a call comes in, one of two things will happen depending on some carrier-side configuration and phone capabilities: either (1) the call will be sent directly to voicemail instead of the phone ringing, or (2) the phone will ring, and as soon as you answer the phone call the EDGE cellular data session will shut down.

WiFi data, on the other hand, will continue to work fine simultaneously with a cellular voice call under EDGE service.