Is the iPhone 3G really worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thechungster, Dec 7, 2008.

1. thechungster macrumors regular

So, I will have enough money to buy an iPhone 3G in January on PAYG. Thing is, being an :apple: fan, I tend to buy anything apple :eek:
    Anyway, I have an iPod touch 1st gen. I have some choices in what to do...

• Get an iPhone 3G in January
    • Wait till an update, and see if the updates are really worth it, since PAYG on o2 will probably be still running.
    • Get some Shure SE530PTH

So my main question is, is the iPhone 3G really worth it if I already have an iPod touch+ a SE K850?

2. Maguire macrumors member

If you have to ask that question, then I would say no. People who really want an iPhone never ask that question.

3. memesmith macrumors regular

"Take two bottles into the shower?"

I reckon if you're happy with your phone and your touch, then it's probably not worth buying an iPhone now. I love having an all-in-one device (I have a firstgen iPhone), and I was always leaving my phone at home, or forgetting to charge it when I used to have a crappy Nokia, yet remembering my shuffle. So combing the two was a no-brainer for me. But if I were you, I'd save your money and see what January's macworld keynote brings.

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I guess if you want an all in one device.

If not i'd wait until the next cycle.

I'm still using my first gen iphone, i was gonna switch out like 10x but keep deciding against it, plus no 3G in upstate NY.. :(

5. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

I really want it, it's just I don't know when or if it's the right decision

6. archipellago macrumors 65816

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you have to ask, then it isn't. So don't get one.

When I got mine, I didn't have to ask if I was making the right choice. I just knew. :D

8. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

if you really wanted it you wouldn't ask. I just had to have mine now i can't put it down for 5 minutes got it september still love it

9. megadon macrumors 6502

here's the thing..

I don't know where you live, but I find the iphone pointless unless you have the unlimited data package..

its not a nokia that will have a very good camera, or speakers and stuff like that..sure the iphone tries to compete, but what they excel at is the rich internet browsing experience..which I find amazing..

if you don't think you're gonna get the unlimited data package, then you can buy a new ipod touch which still has wifi so you can surf the net , and you can keep your other phone..

I've heard that the next gen iphone will have video recording and will be bumped to 32g,

thats tech for you, you pay up for something now, and there will be something better one year from now..

10. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

I live in the UK, and it comes with 12 months free unlimited data.

11. Akachris1 macrumors newbie

On 02 Ireland the most you can get charged is 99 cent per day (£0.85) using the internet on the 3G network and we get the same 12 months free unlimited data as in the UK, but they want a huge 500 euro (£434) for the contract free iphone 16gb but in the long run against the 18 month contract one it come out cheaper.

12. ukmall macrumors newbie

I am pretty happy with my 3G, it worth every penny...

[​IMG]