Is the iphone 3g worth it?...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolecat, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Okay...so I've seen the youtube videos that go over the specs, and even the parody that pokes fun at some of the iphone downfalls...

But, I really have nothing to balance my decision on. I don't own the previous iphone (nor did I really want to after rumors of the bills coming in boxes because they were so long.) I laugh at the thought of that now.

I really would like something to help keep me organized, and absolutely love the idea of gps (seeing as I don't have it in my car already)
    ...and just wanted someone's general opinion as a previous iphone user.

Would you buy one if you hadn't already?
    I know they haven't come out yet, so the opinion would be strictly hypothetical...but I figure a previous iphone user's opinion would be better than my own. :)

Thanks for any help what-so-ever.

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I think it is worth every penny, and if you are eligible for an upgrade or are new to AT&T, then you can't beat $199/$299. If I didn't have one already I would still be getting one on July 11th. Just my opinion.

3. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I got an iPhone on launch day. Truly, honestly, once you use the iPhone you start to wonder why every other cell phone maker didn't come up with something like it before. I can't imagine going back to another type of phone after using the iPhone.

Simple things like scrolling through your contacts with a flick of the finger and having a (mostly) full-featured internet browser on the go.

Add to all that the things that you can do if you are willing to jailbreak it-things like chat, games, etc. that will also come via the App Store.

I would definitely buy one-the only question would be whether to get the new 3G model and pay the higher monthly fees, or to try to get an original for the slightly cheaper fees. Either way, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

go and play with a demo, this is a completely subjective question, everyone will have a different answer

5. SPeditor macrumors regular

I don't have an iphone but will be getting the new iphone G3. I got the first iphone as a gift for Christmas but returned it without opening it, as I knew the G3 was coming.

Now I really wanted the video chat and almost decided to not get the G3 version because it didn't have this. I wanted to see my wife and kids during my day at work. Can't use my work computer to do this. However, I didn't want to wait another year.

I could wait for the 32gb version around Christmas but didn't want to wait 6 more months. So I am finally going to get the iphone. One for my wife too. Hopefully on July 11th.

Now I just have to figure out what case to buy. :confused:

6. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah, I switched to t-mobile right before Cingular became at&t...and my contract just ran out with t-mobile. :)

So, I've been slightly obsessed with the option to switch.
    I could switch and not have to buy out any remainder of my contract. The whole reason I switched before, was dropped calls and missing text messages (the whole lot). But, anyone that I talk to now that has at&t seems to have no problems with them as a carrier.

I absolutely love the mac platform...and can't seem to shake the idea to get one.

Is the rate plan absurd?...I looked and compared similar rate plans between at&t and t-mobile and there isn't that much difference, but is it worth the hassle to cancel and switch carriers.

plus...the current number I have now is a cingular number that I carried over (I've been seeing that you would have to get a new number)...How much of that hold's light?

thanks guys!

7. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I'm fairly certain you can port your number but I could be wrong on that.

The rate plans seem steeper to someone on the current plan-$10 more a month and no texts. If you live somewhere where there is no 3G coverage, you're getting a little screwed, I think, having to pay more for a faster service you can't take advantage of. And then to have to pay $5 for the same number of texts you get now included, again, seems a bit crappy.

But if you are in a 3G area, and you have no problem with the price, go for it.

Either way, the iPhone will win you over. And every time you see someone on the road talking into a RAZR you will snicker a little.

8. yode macrumors 6502

as long as you are in the same state that the number was originally registered in the number porting is fine.

9. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Sweet!

okay...one more.

Not that you would positively know for sure...

but there's the at&t family talk plan which says that it includes 2 lines...
    So, the additional iphone line...is that considered the 2nd line?...or would that be the 3rd line?

(was this rate plan written up for 2 iphones?...or could it be 1 iphone, and 1 other phone that supports similar features)

?

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Seems to be worth it. Though sadly in the UK it's locked to O2 which is a fairly poor carrier (imo). Maybe in the next couple of generations of iphone they'll drop carrier exclusivity

11. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah, that would be awesome.
    It's that fact, that has held me from getting one...thus far.

I don't want to buy one and then jailbreak it, voiding the warranty, and then have something go wrong with it.

:\

12. yode macrumors 6502

The iphone family plans differ from at&t's normal family plans by the 30 dollars you would have to add onto a normal family plan, it's kind of stupid how they complicate it but the iphone family plan is for all the lines to have iphones. With a normal family plan you can add an iphone line to it, all you have to do is add the 30 dollar data plan (per each iPhone line).

13. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

based on your signature, all you need now is a 3G Iphone baby! You can even get rid of your Ipods :D

14. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

this place is probably kind of biased when it comes to that question though if you were to go to a RIM forum and ask the same question im sure itd be hard to get the right answer also.

In my own opinion I boxed up and shipped out my first gen iphone that i bought launch day last year and to be honest i feel disconnected from everything without it and cannot wait to get the 3G

15. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Best advice anyone can give you.

16. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Is it worth it? Maybe

Will I buy it. Of Course.

17. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I fully intend on listing my 30g on ebay...but, it's practically mint condition. I find it hard to part with my macs. :(
    (the smaller ipod was engraved with my new married name as a gift...I will most likely never get rid of it)

18. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Most definitely...I've tinkered with some of my friend's iphones. I thought I wanted the blackberry pearl...was even waiting and eyeballing which one I wanted. Then I heard the press release, and have been obsessed ever since.

I guess I wanted to hear some affirmation from my fellow mac-heads...because my husband is dragging his feet on making the carrier switch.

:\