Is the iPhone 3G worth of buying??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uruguay3000, Jul 8, 2008.

1. uruguay3000 macrumors newbie

Hi I wanted to get an iPhone since the first generation iPhone came out, but since it didn't had 3G and the camera needed some improvements I didn't buy one and decided to wait for the next one.
    Now the iPhone 3G is coming out on July 11th but I am not sure if to buy it or not because it has 3G but, I was hoping that the second generation iPhone was going to come out with a better camera at least with video recording. And ichat but none of those thing came on the next iPhone. So I need some suggestions on if I should wait for the next one or buy it now. Thanks :)

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority on this forum, but I'm waiting to upgrade from the first gen. Not sure if I'm going to wait until the 3rd gen is out, but I'm planning to wait until at least Xmas time to see if there's a revision out for the holidays.

As far as advice, it's a pretty subjective decision. I would take the iPhone3G over no iPhone at all, but I'm not very compelled to upgrade at the moment. Happy with the current features, even happier when the new firmware is released, and I'm thrilled with the current iPhone plan rates.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Just go and try one out at a local carrier store, or Apple store. A hands on test.

4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure you're in the minority at all ... I'm sticking with my first gen iPhone too. I'm glad that the lines are going to be long and slow, that will prevent me from buying on day one ... and once I install the firmware upgrade, that's 95 percent of what I want from an improved iPhone. Granted, I'm stuck with 8 gigs and won't have 3G ... I think I can suffer for another year with less. Still no answer from Apple or AT&T about who's providing the GPS service and how much it will cost, by the way.

5. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

No answer about what? The GPS chip is embedded in the iPhone and accessible to all developers. There isn't going to be some extra add-on to utilize GPS service. Sure, AT&T likes to tout there telenav service for $9.99 I believe, but that's just for people who don't know any better. Unlike Verizon, AT&T doesn't cripple their GPS based devices.

6. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

If you don't have an iPhone, then get it. It's that simple.

If you already have a v1 iPhone, don't even bother.

7. uruguay3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so most of you guys are saying if I don't have an iPhone v1 that I should get an iPhone 3G. But I am not convinced because I was expecting a better camera in the iPhone. So I am not sore if to buy one or not.

8. EngBrian macrumors regular

First I don't have an iPhone so I can't comment on picture quality but my two cents would be that if you like everything but the camera that doesn't seem like enough reason to avoid the iphone. I guess you need to look at your current phone camera usage but for anytime I really needed a camera I had my standalone which will always outperform a camera phone, I would bet, since it is a dedicated device.

9. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

I'm on the fence as to what to do. i was all set with getting one on Saturday morning, but now I'm wondering if 3G and GPS is worth the upgrade? I'm personally more excited for 2.0 firmware and the App store. Most folks just want what's new.