Is the iphone 3gs usable in 2014?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lolwatpear, Aug 11, 2014.

1. lolwatpear macrumors member

I purchased my Mom a iphone 3gs and am awaiting its arrival. I want to know if it will be a decent experience for her. She had the lumia 520 not long ago, but didn't like the OS.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. The 3GS can run iOS 6. Right now, it's keeping up fairly well (I run iOS 6.1 on my iPhone 5).

3. gaanee macrumors 6502a

It's fairly good, I have 3GS which I am still using as an ipod. It's running ios6 and some of the newer versions of apps takes a few seconds more to load, but that's understandable.

4. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

My 68 yr old Dad is still using his iPhone 3Gs. It's been his only smart phone.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

6. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

Yes, defiantly, 3GS is really good, my mom is also using 3GS and its is really comfortable to my mom.:)

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

My mom has my old 3GS, still running fine for her needs, she barely uses the internet etc outside the house so for her is fine albeit a little bit sluggish/slow to do things; takes 1-3 seconds for it to answer a call after slide to unlock for example w iOS 6.

8. PetrosMac, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

PetrosMac macrumors member

PetrosMac

Is the iphone 3gs usable in 2014?

My mom as well uses a 3GS 8GB and i think it's still a remarkable device for this limited use.Even if it's not so limited!You can do all the basic stuff a 5S can do.And I mean iMessage,calls,photos,you can install the apps of he social networks e other apps for messaging like whatsapp.

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

But it's pretty good in situations with good light.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

My mom uses a 3Gs. I was using one up until last November when I got a 5s. It actually performed most of the same tasks that my 5s does, just obviously slower and with an inferior display. Oh, and a far inferior camera.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm surprised at the number of people who say they still have or know someone using a phone that was introduced back in 2009. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you gotta buy every new release, but using a 5 year old phone is surprising to say the least.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Up until early this year I had my old HTC Touch Pro. Got it in May 2009. I gave away my 3GS a few months ago and my friend uses it now. I have a Palm device now too that someone sent me this year. Works fine, but I'm not on AT&T so I use it for other things.

My youngest Mac is eight years old (PowerPC). I own no Intel Macs. As long as devices can still do what is being asked of them they are still relevant I think.

14. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No arguments with that at all. My main computer is a 2007 iMac, first generation aluminum. My laptop was purchased in January 2008, and I've been using my HTC One (M7) for 13 months.

16. ratbrain macrumors member

if you can afford a 4 i would opt for a 4 for mom.

same situation , but the retina resolution is a huge difference maker especially for mom.

17. akhilleus macrumors member

I ran my 3GS well into last year and it was working decently. It was a bit slow and touchy at times and frustrated me, but what's your moms level of skill with phones? Will this be her first time using an apple product and if so, are you around frequently enough that you can help her out as she gets used to it? In the event that it runs a bit slower, do you think it's going to bother her or be an issue?

18. WK95 macrumors newbie

replace digitizer and LCD screen 3GS

hey...i have a problem of replacing my iPhone 3GS LCD screen,after i change it,I'm sure it is turn on,once i charge it,i can hear the charging sound,i don't know why the screen just go white,anyone know what happen? pls help me,i don't know what to do with my 3GS,it still running very good just the screen is cracked

19. Larvas macrumors member

Larvas

What are you people talking about? Due to some circumstances I had to sell my iPhone 5 last year and transfer to a 3gs and it is slow as hell!

• The app store is unreachable at some times
    • Facebook app crashes and is really slow
    • The camera app is slow
    • Sometimes I type a message and it shows up a couple seconds later
    • Apps can take up to 10 seconds to open
    • The screen is really, really bad

I tried everything to speed it up, but you just can't, the last iOS is just to much for the little guy.

20. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Came into this thread expecting to read a ton of reasons trying to use a 3GS today would be inconceivable!

However, after reading all the positive posts it almost makes me wish I still had a 3GS to play around with for a few minutes.

21. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

venomgt95

i bought my first iPhone back in january. its a 16GB 3GS, and i love it, sure its slow at times (cuz its old and not really made to run iOS 6) but it still serves its purpose very well.. although it does overheat if im talking on the phone for a long time.. :apple:

22. Kit.Snicket macrumors newbie

Keeps on Ticking!

I love my iphone 3G. I keep it in ios4, so it runs quite snappy. Really the only sacrifice is no new apps, but I am totally content with the old ones I have. Prevent e-waste and don't cause more conflict minerals to be mined!