Is the Iphone 4 8gb good enough for me in 2014?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Feb 22, 2014.

1. pauly1, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

pauly1 macrumors regular

Deciding it over and over again. I had ipod touch and used it for music and wifi. I was deciding on a month to month plan without contract so its either virgin mobile or t mobile. I previously had an optimus v android phone with virgin mobile paid 35+ tax a month with the 300 min plan and unlimited everything else. Phone is very very slow. I had cancelled my cell phone before i left to usa before coming to canada. I stay at least 3 month+ here at a time.

Here in canada, i only have a landline phone. I have no cell phone... i dont really need it. However, i would want some type of phone or device when im walking around outside since theres wifi available in many areas. So im heading back to the usa to get an iphone and then coming back to canada. I basically wont be activating a plan with an iphone so will be using the iphone without paying a service. However, when i do get back to the usa... i might activate it but basically im using the phone without a plan in canada and i might head to mexico. Other thing is b/c i want to have an iphone, which i never have one.

I also know with an iphone you could use it just like a phone if you have wifi service. So you could check internet and make phone call as well via skype etc and other things. So basically even with an ipod touch, i could do this but i rather have an iphone.

I read a lot of ppl mention iphone 4 is way too slow for ios7 and other things. I have no idea what ios7 is etc. The thing is all im planning to do is use it for web browsing when have access to wifi, check email and other stuff. I do not play games however at all even with my ipod touch. There were apps that i downloaded but then again, i rarely used much of the apps.

If that is the case, would the iphone 4 be perfectly fine for me? The only thing i care about is if it could be used as a phone, checking sites and clicking on stuff would be okay to decent speed, hearing music etc. I do plan to take pictures and maybe record some videos but i rarely ever did this. I know this takes up lot of space. I dont think i would ever go more than 3gb of music... so with 8gb... i think 6.7gb are free... and with apps and other stuff i think i should be fine?

I did read ppl say you wont get the full iphone experience with 8gb and need minimum 16gb. However... i would be using this without a service for quite a bit... at least 3 months very good chance 1 year or more as i would be outside the country. So is it fine to just get the iphone 4 8gb? I dont use lot of stuff that ppl with iphones use such as download bunch of games and other stuff and store tons of videos. I mean i might have a few videos saved but i dont think i would have much. And couple with the fact im not going to have a plan with it... does it make sense just getting the iphone 4 8gb one is fine? Because whenever i do need it later... i can always sell it and get a new one?

I read ppl say iphone 4 is very slow b/c its single core and the 4s is dual core. Is that a big difference? The thing is as long as it isn't that slow and internet is decent speed im fine. I did had an optimus v android phone and it was VERY SLOW... does anyone know if the iphone 4 would be that slow like the optimus v?

Curious what you guys think about my situation here.

With virgin mobile,

Iphone 4 8gb is 160+tax new
    Iphone 4s 8gb is 280+tax new

Iphone 4s 16gb used on ebay would be 260-300 most likely

I just feel like no pt in shelling out more money extra when im probably never going to use it like those iphone users who use it a lot.

Thanks.

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I used to have an Optimus V. I actually liked it (I had no other options, and it was a smartphone, so hey :))

But honestly, your best bet is probably T-Mobile. They're now offering free international data, and their phones are unlocked. You could grab an iPhone 5s for a little bit of money down and pay it off. If you can afford to buy an off contract 5s, you could save tons of money per month with t-mobile's 30$ plan for prepaid phones (unlimited minutes, texts, and 5 GB LTE)

Virgin Mobile is terrible. Just terrible. I would hate having an iPhone with them. Bad, bad data speeds. They have good customer support, though :)

3. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

If you like apps 8G will kill you. Over time each app grows and grows (more hd). 16g on my ipad was horrible. Now I have 64 and much more breathing room.

4. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey. Well heres the problem with this. I know they offer international data but its only for 6 week max at a time... i will be in canada or mexico for at least 3 month + so thats not viable option. Someone said those who stay extended time... that plan isn't good for them.

Also i won't be having activating a plan when i get it for quite some time. Such as when i get it... it would be min 6 months before i activate it... i dont stay in the usa for more than few weeks max so theres no pt of me activating it.

When i used the 3g with my optimus v... the internet i agree wasn't that fast. It was okay i say. Again... i dont plan to have a monthly plan... i just want an iphone to use when im out of the country and i will be out of the country almost 11 out of 12 months.

So thats another reason why i would get iphone from VM than TM b/c its much less cost.

But would the iphone 4 8gb be fine then? I can always upgrade later on. I mean if i get it for 170 now new... when i sell it in one year... let say condition is very good... i probably could sell it for at least half that? I basically just want something basic at the moment.

You liked the optimus v? That phone lagged so much. I keep had to erase text message and web browser history b/c it say data storage is full and it took me lot of time to fix that issue every week. You didnt have those problems? I hated that phone so much, only reaosn i bought it was b/c i wanted to get a smartphone and just opted for the most basic one with the lowest plan which was Virgin mobile.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I don't know what you want us to say, really. It seems like that's what you want. But the iPhone 4 is going to be very slow performing regular functions. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to acquire an iPhone 4 that doesn't have iOS 7 on it :)

8 GB is fine because you won't be able to use any big apps anyway.

6. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont add more than maybe 15 apps max. I dont plan to play games at all. Isn't that fine for someone like me then? The thing is many times i buy stuff like computers and other stuff where it has max 500gb or 256gb... but i rarely go over 100gb etc. Last thing i want is to get something 64gb and never have more than 10gb used up. I guarantee i wont ever go higher than 10gb on an iphone and that to me is pretty high already.

----------

Can you tell me what you mean by big apps?

When you say its going to be very slow performing regular functions you mean when you click on app or web browser and it would lag a lot?

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yes. It will. The phone is 4 years old. It's got a single core 1ghz processor with 512mb of RAM, with much less graphical capability than the new iPhones. It will lag, it will be slow. Comfortingly, it'll be exactly the same amount of slowness each time, so you'll get used to it :)

Also, big apps = new games. They frequently run over 1 GB. You won't need to worry about those, because the iPhone 4 won't play them very well :p

8. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

My wife has my old iphone 4 with ios 7 on it. It's very slow.

9. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone explain why then use ios 7 with it then? Why not use a previous version? Is it b/c u cant download certain apps with the previous one? Even so... it shouldnt be that many apps right?

Again i have no idea what ios 7 is etc...

10. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

To me the version would be worth the slow. But I believe you can use older versions now. No idea which.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

More and more apps will be moving that way. Plus various new updates won't be available on the older iOS version. And of course none of the new features from iOS 7 would be there.

12. g35, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

g35 macrumors 6502a

Once you upgrade to iOS 7, you can't go back to 6. So the people who complain about 7 being slow probably would go back if Apple would allow them to.

Just get the iPhone 4. It's a little slow but if you use your phone for simple tasks like phone calls, email, twitter, one web page at a time (no tabbed browsing) it's fine. You'll be fine with 8GB.

People tend to get 'snobby' on forums dedicated to a particular topic. On a beer forum, people will say they vomit from cheap beer. On a watch forum, people will say they'd rather cut off their hand than wear a $100 watch. And on an iPhone forum, people will say the old iPhone 4 is now unusable. They're all exaggerating.

Like you said, if you find you're having major issues that make your iPhone 4 unsuitable for your use, you can always sell it and get a different one.

13. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey... actually i would need multiple tabs...not 1 page at a time. I usually want at least 5 tabs at once though...

14. g35 macrumors 6502a

Well the iPhone 4 and 4S have the same amount of RAM, 512 MB, so I guess that doesn't make a difference.

15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Then I wouldn't recommend an iPhone 4. I'd say you should get an iPhone 4s as a minimum.

16. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I've just got an iPhone 4 as a backup/spare phone to my 5. It certainly is a bit sluggish at times but I was pleasantly surprised how useable it still is on iOS 7. It does lag slightly but runs everything I want it to. You could even get a cheap pay as you go sim with a bit of data perhaps for if you're between wifi hotspots.

If you could spring the extra for a 4s there is quite a jump in performance, a better camera and different antenna setup. If not, depending on your usage the 4 should suit your purposes.

17. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I used an 8gb Nexus 4 for over a year with no problem. It depends on what your needs are and what you use your phone for. The capicity isn't as much of a problem as the iPhone 4 itself though. That thing is dog slow for most things and many apps take an eternity to load. If you want an iPhone I would go with the 4S bare minimum. You will get a much better experience. The iPhone 4 is nearing 4 years old and it has almost 5 year old hardware. No something you'd really want to commit to in 2014.

18. Bobby Corwen, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Well dude, you'll be able to do anything you want. Storage, you won't have much room so you will have to limit what you put on.

The point is it will be incredibly slow. Like you push a button, and wait like 2 seconds. Push a text field and it will take time to realize the taps and slow down then catch up, confuse you.

Super heavy feeling like a brick (Lol jk)

But yes, its good enough to function. The screen is still retina.

But no, its not quite ideal or "good enough" unless you really want to sacrifice having a decent experience for a year, as opposed to paying a couple hundred more for a like new/used iPhone 5 (300$ish) if thats a financial option.

Its not gonna be "just fine." Four years is an eternity in the tech field. Its not like they kept upgrading the devices with stuff that is just bells and whistles, they are actually completely different realms of power and performance capacity. Exponentially so.

19. ruaan.erasmus macrumors newbie

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

For over 2 years, up until this past November, I was getting by just fine with an 8GB iPhone 3Gs. It really depends on what you intend to use it for.

21. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I started with the iPod Touch when it first came out. I was happy with using it on wifi. My 32GB iPod has a lot of games and music on it. When I was ready to move to an iPhone I had to justify the cost and get a great deal for me to move. Since I have several iOS devices I split up my apps. My iPad has a few movies, HD apps, and books. The iPod - loads of gaming and music. iPhone mostly mobile apps, few my fav games, social apps. Music app uses about 5GB which I'm trying to keep it down to the max.

What I like about using an iPhone (vs iPod touch) is that you have wifi when it's not available. The use of the Maps app is an added plus. Normally I would drive to a hotspot and download my directions (Starbucks, Target, etc). Sometimes do a screen shot incase I loose the directions. Yeah I could have purchased a GPS device but I've already got too many gadgets sitting around collecting dust. I'm saving more money with the iPhone because I use the store apps for shopping. Again with the iPod touch, some store's wifi sucks and I couldn't log on. There are a lot of other reasons that are related to business.

I thought about the 4s because a lot of my friends are still using there's. I went against it after realizing that in a few years it will be no longer upgradable or it will be slower with the newer iOS. Right now my iPod Touch 4th Gen. I can't download any new apps because most will require you to have iOS7 installed. The iPhone 4 is really close to my iPod Touch. No Siri and from what I've noticed if you are running iOS6 the Remote app is not as effective as it is on iOS7.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-touch-models-full-partial-ios-7-support.html

I wonder if you wait awhile and see what Virgin Mobile will do when the next iPhone is released. Right now you can get a 16GB 5s for $440. I also looked at Virgin mobile too. $35 a month is nice deal. My reason for not going with Virgin mobile is service. If your daily commute is where there is a lot wifi connections, you could get the minimum data package with a major mobile company which would equate to roughly $1 more per day.

22. Tech guy macrumors newbie

Hey there
    I say go for it, I have one and love it. I also came from an iPod touch
    You will love it I think. Mine is a little slow when putting in a address but not bad at all

23. mustafu macrumors newbie

I still have a 4 kicking around, I would call the performance on it adequate at best. Going into accessibility settings and toggling Reduce Motion and Increase Contrast to on seemed to make it more tolerable performance wise.

24. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I was getting along with a iPhone 4 till up to this February-without iOS 7.1. To be honest, it wasn't so bad, as long as you go to the Accessibility Settings and reduce motion it kind of changes the animations to make it a bit better.Gaming is okay, but you probably don't wanna play Infinity Blade. Try and save up for the 5C atleast though.

25. cynics macrumors G3

I have the bare minimum on my 16gb 4S right now (less then 100 pics, no music, no movies or videos) and it has 10gb remaining. There is no way I could pull off 8gb.

So it's possible but IMO would be a horrible user experience.