Is the iPhone 4 a good iPod replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yearofthe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

My iPod nano 3rd finally died and gone to Apple heaven, and so it's time for change. Is it a good idea to replace it with an iPhone? Does it bother you when you get any notifications?

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I sold my iPod long ago. When notifications come in, the music fades, the notification plays, and it fades back in. Very unobtrusive and classy.

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I went from a iPod Touch to my iPhone, so great only having to carry one device around now.

As for being disturbed with notifications when you're listening to music if you switch the silent/ringer switch to silent then they don't sound and just vibrate (if you have that turned on) It will only sound if someone attempts to ring you in that case.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Definitely a great iPod replacement, it was one of the main reasons I got one in the first place, so I didn't have to carry around a phone and an iPod.

Notifications don't bother me. With phone calls your music fades out and the phone starts ringing, then comes back when the call ends. With texts/emails it just briefly fades and the comes back, not an interruption of more than a second or two. And as far as I can tell notifications from 3rd-party apps don't interrupt your music at all.

5. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

That's why I want the iPhone I have Become addicted to my iPad being able to carry along all the music, photos, videos and apps so the iPhone will be perfect and you can make calls! Perfect! now that I have learned all the interaction with the ipad I really like the iOS platform so I can't wait for my verizon iPhone. I have an android now I use the fascinate so it will be going to the wife and iPhone here we come!

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I even work out with my iPhone4. I have an app called Runmeter that uses GPS to log my workouts. Plays music, can make a call when needed. If I get up-ducted by aliens...Find my iPhone will locate my remains....etc. Pretty much does all the iPod features without hassle. I say, it completely deletes the need for the iPod.

Oh, I have a Belkin armband made for the iPhone4. When not working out, I leave it in the pocket and answer calls with the earphones.

**The only reason I kept my older iPods were to keep plugged into external speakers around the house. However, with AirPlay...that is going away too. The iPhone can now wirelessly push music content throughout the house.***

7. dewdst macrumors member

if you like to keep a lot of the pics & vids you take with your iphone like me then no. Each pic is like 1mb and 1min videos are upwards of 900mb's it limits your available space for all your tunes.

I get a lot of use out of my old 5th gen classic ipod

maybe soon we can expect 64gb iphones :)

8. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Never had a regular iPod, but the iPhone seems like a very good media player to me. I use it to watch movies on a plane, listen to when I work out at the gym, etc. I would recommend it. The only thing that may be a downside is it only holds 29gb. A regular iPod can hold a lot more, but if your like me, you should be fine. I neve realized I liked so little music untill I started putting it on the phone. It really is nice having everything on one device.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Unless the 32GB of storage is not enough for you, totally. I dealt with an 8GB iPhone for more than a year before I got the 32GB iPhone 3GS. You learn to not dump all of your stuff on there and reap the benefits of all the iOS apps.