Is the iPhone 4 speaker an improvement over older models?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Jul 15, 2010.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Waiting for my iPhone 4 to arrive and was curious about this. Is the iPhone 4 speaker louder than the 3G and 3GS? Compared to other phones, the iPhone is always the quietest. I would think they'd improve this with the new design?

2. asouclks macrumors member

Yes!! From my experience it's much better/louder.

3. Stay Tuned macrumors member

It's on a different side then the 3G. On the 3G the speaker was on the right when you were looking a the screen. On the new one it's on the left. Not sure what side it was on on the 3GS.

I can't say that it's noticeably louder then the 3G.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Yes, it is not only louder but the sound is also more clear. Apple is really starting to pay attention to the smaller speakers, ie: new MacBooks.

5. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

it's way louder for me coming from a 3G. speakerphone esp. -before it was worthless, i had to hold the phone to my ear anyway. now i can actually use it like it's meant to be used.

6. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Uhhhh, wasn't it on the left the entire time?

7. aibo82 macrumors 6502

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've swapped my iPhone 4 and noticed that one seemed louder and clearer than the one I returned.. overall, better than my 3G.

9. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I too thought it was switched on the 4. But then again I was one of the noobs that thought "one of my stereo speakers is broken". But that was years ago. I'm all better now.

10. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Oh hell yea it is. It is on the right, and the quality is amazing. I watched a youtube video and hear like the echo of a guys voice that I couldnt hear with my comp speakers or headphones. The volume is also louder. I'm coming from the 3G. idk if the 3GS had any improvements.

11. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Lower than my 3GS aswell. Sucks. Use the speaker a lot when I'm at work cleaning guns. Funny thing though, to me it seems like everything else except the key board clicks and music is the same. Ringer seems about as loud to me, but not the music. Don't know.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yes, from what I've seen it is more clear and does not peak like the previous models.