Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
This is by far the most sensible comment I've heard regarding whether we'll be getting a 4S only or a 4S and a redesigned 5:

From BGR: "Why would Apple bump up only the processor specs of the iPhone 4 in addition to a newly designed iPhone 5 if the goal is to sell it into the pre-paid market at a lower cost?” Blair wondered in his note. “A 4S would simply cost more and a 4S itself wouldn’t create a mid-tier market unless it was priced at $99 and the iPhone 4 went to $49 with the new iPhone at $199. We see this scenario as unlikely.”"

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/21/wedge-apples-iphone-4s-will-be-only-new-model-to-launch-this-year/

I think we'll only be seeing a 4S this year, but what's interesting though is that the person making this claim says the 4S may actually have a redesigned 4 inch screen, which may explain those new cases we've been seeing. So is this semantics? 4S = 5 and 5 = 4S? Are they one and the same? A redesign that just isn't that major? I don't know.

Honestly, this article is making more and more sense. We've been mislead into thinking that a 4S = minor internal upgrade in the body of an iP4, while a 5 = major upgrade & design overhaul. The names "4S" and "5" are just names rumor-sites invented and separated. Why can't it be both those features in the same thing? Meaning... one new iPhone this year: a slightly upgraded but also slightly redesigned phone (an answer to antennae-gate, perhaps)?

And whatever they call it is whatever they call it.

Last edited:

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Lower cost would be achieved by using the same processor for both the new iPhone4 and the iPhone5.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
What's interesting though is that the person making this claim says the 4S may actually have a redesigned 4 inch screen, which may explain those new cases we've been seeing. So is this semantics? 4S = 5 and 5 = 4S? Are they one and the same? A redesign that just isn't that major? I don't know. In many ways, it makes sense.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
No, they said in the same form factor though...which doesn't explain the cases.

"... a small possibility of a larger 4 inch screen,” Blair wrote. “We believe the casing will be largely similar to the iPhone with some particular modifications to the antennae..."

Does that necessarily mean same form factor? Could be.

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
If this happens then see ya Apple, hello Samsung Galaxy 2. This will hit apple hard if they only release a 4s.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Yeah...this would be very disapointing considering the four month delay. I can't believe they would do something so underwhelming.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Honestly, this article is making more and more sense. I think 4S = 5, and vice versa. We've been mislead into thinking that a 4S = minor internal upgrade, while a 5 = major upgrade & design overhaul. Why can't it be both in the same thing? Meaning... one iPhone this year; a slightly upgraded but also slightly redesigned phone (an answer to antennae-gate, perhaps)?

And whatever they call it is whatever they call it.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If this happens then see ya Apple, hello Samsung Galaxy 2. This will hit apple hard if they only release a 4s.

If by hit them hard, you mean they will sell 10s of millions of them, then I agree. There is no way I would ever punish myself by getting an Android device because I didn't get everything I wanted out of a the new iPhone. I already tried Android once....never again.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Al Gore, inventor of the internets, stated there will be 'iPhones' coming. I believe him. Just like I believe in Global Warming.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Yes it makes sense, even though I really want an redesigned iPhone 5, it will probably be a minor redesign so they can sell new cases for it etc.

The evidence supporting that argument is far greater than the one supporting a new completely redesigned iPhone. All we have supporting the complete redesign is the case manufacturers which are all going on ONE leaked document.

Luckily we only have to wait a couple of weeks more....

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Just to be clear...

Faster processor + more RAM + better camera + (possibly) larger screen = minor upgrade if they call it the 4S instead of 5.

Exactly my point. The rumor websites are the ones who invented the names "4S" and "5" and created the idea that they are both different and not just different, but drastically different...

... but they could be one and the same. It'd be silly to think of the new phone as only a "minor upgrade" just because of a simple misnomer. What they may end up calling it doesn't really matter; what matters is what they'll be upgrading.

Well said, Cyks.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
To them not releasing the 5 because of 'production issues' and only releasing a minor upgrade.

That's an interesting conclusion, but a stretch of the imagination if you ask me. I think they either planned a redesigned iPhone 5 and we will see it or one was never planned to begin with.

Just to be clear...

Faster processor + more RAM + better camera + (possibly) larger screen = minor upgrade if they call it the 4S instead of 5.

This is my question. What part of this is objectionable? What if we get all of this and it's called an iPhone 5....would you be happy? What if we get all of this and it's called an iPhone 4s...will this piss you off?

----------

Exactly my point. The rumor websites are the ones who invented the names "4S" and "5" and created the idea that they are both different and not just different, but drastically different...

Actually, that's not true. The rumor sites just ran with stories from the likes of WSJ. Here's a story from February for example:
http://www.newsaroundtheworld.net/two-new-apple-iphones-coming-this-summer/17387/

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
This is my question. What part of this is objectionable? What if we get all of this and it's called an iPhone 5....would you be happy? What if we get all of this and it's called an iPhone 4s...will this piss you off?[/QUOTE]

I dont care if they call it 4S or 5, if we dont see a casing change im switching. I know they like to keep things secret but in this case it could hurt them by not saying anything about all those fake cases and leading people to believe there is a big change coming.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
If the screen isn't bigger I'd be very disapointed. I mean...we've had the four for 16 months now. A new bigger faster droid phone comes out every other day.

Also..I thought saturating the market with two different iPhones sounded like a fantastic idea.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I think Smtevo is missing the point we're trying to make, so let's drop it. The topic of the thread remains an interesting one, I think: Is the iPhone 4S and 5 one and the same? Are those names just misnomers? I think there's plenty of reason to believe this is the case. Oct will be interesting.

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
So the casing of the electronics is what is most important to you? Really?!? :confused:

yes it is, what else do I need a dual core processor for and a little bigger camera. It is all up to the user, maybe you need different.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
I think Smtevo is missing the point we're trying to make, so let's drop it. The topic of the thread remains an interesting one, I think: Is the iPhone 4S and 5 one and the same? Are those names just misnomers? I think there's plenty of reason to believe this is the case. Oct will be interesting.

I tend to believe the WSJ over some analyst. I gonna say we see 2 devices.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
It's all about the looks. Changing the looks = brand new. Same looks = slight upgrade. Kinda similar to cars and redesigns. I think alot more people care about the looks than anything else so they can show off what they bought. Who is going to see an A5 chip or an 8mp camera on a 4S?

But I would much prefer internal upgrades than external. I only care about how the phone works for me, not how others will judge me. I mean, come on, faster processor and ram will save you time by loading everything faster. There is no better upgrades than this in technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.