Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the iPhone 4 have the "worst" glass of any iPhone to date?

• Yes, I've been very careful and have a few scratches already.

Votes: 53 20.6%
  • Yes, I'm not particurally careful but my iPhone 4 isn't holding up as well as previous iPhones.

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Yes, dropping my iPhone 4 once was worse than the x amount of times I dropped my previous iPhones.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • No, I've been careful and I don't notice any scratches.

Votes: 99 38.5%
  • No, I haven't been particurally careful but I don't notice any scratches.

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • No, this has stood up to a few drops already with barely any marks.

Votes: 25 9.7%

• Total voters

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I got a small but deep scratch on the front of my iphone 4 within a week of owning it. Never had any problems with previous iphones. I'm not exactly careful but then I've never had to be. My previous phones have stood up to keys and change in my pocket without a single scratch.

Dissappointed.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
I got a small but deep scratch on the front of my iphone 4 within a week of owning it. Never had any problems with previous iphones. I'm not exactly careful but then I've never had to be. My previous phones have stood up to keys and change in my pocket without a single scratch.

Dissappointed.

i had an AA battery in the pocket with my 3Gs once and it left a nice deep 1/4" scratch on the display

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
+1 for the person who said put back the original iphones glass on it, That phone was amazing.

I once took it to the gym and was on the treadmill with it, the phone slipped out of my pocket, rolled round on the treadmill so fast and then got stuck in the gap were the floor moves.

the plastic was actually burned/grazed so much that you could see copper wires, yet the only damage done to the screen was one small (yet deep) scratch.

Amazing. and it's still working today, i gave it to my sister (wish i didn't considering i have broke the screen on my 3g already 4 times)

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I'd say its the best for being scratch resistant. no scratches at all yet after 3 weeks of usage. but we'll see. however i can't say how much durable it is. Haven't dropped my iphone and i don't plan to. Its defiantly more easy to crack the grass now that both front and back are glass. When i dropped my 3gs screen down on a brick road :eek: (going to the apple store) i didn't get a single scratch on the screen :eek: (i hope the iphone 4 glass is as durable) but the plastic bottom left corner of the 3gs was where the force of the gravity took its furry out on and if this had been my iphone 4 i'd be surprised if the glass didn't completely shatter.

but i like the glass, nice an smooth and a delight to hold :)

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Considering mine completely shattered on the first fall (back glass only) and my old 3G still looks great I'm going to have to go with yes.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I dropped my iPhone with bumper on from about 3ft on to some rocky asphalt in a parking lot. The bumper has a nice gash but the phone is fine.

I never dropped my 3GS in the year that I had it...but I have dropped my 4 multiple times already. Maybe I am just using it more...

Also the back of the iPhone seems to be frictionless. It seems every time I place it on a flat surface it will find a way to slide off of it.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I dropped my iPhone with bumper on from about 3ft on to some rocky asphalt in a parking lot. The bumper has a nice gash but the phone is fine.

I never dropped my 3GS in the year that I had it...but I have dropped my 4 multiple times already. Maybe I am just using it more...

Also the back of the iPhone seems to be frictionless. It seems every time I place it on a flat surface it will find a way to slide off of it.

I must've dropped mine wrong. :eek::D

:(

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Seriously, what the hell? I've been very careful with my iPhone 4 and I still manage to get a few notable scratches and a lot of others. The amount grows every time I check. I have never had this problem before with the iPhone. This is pissing me off.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I've been treating my iPhone 4 just like my older 3G and haven't had any scratches on the front yet :knocksonwood:. As for the back, I've kept the default plastic on and I've noticed some scratches in that. Waiting on my SGP full body shields to come in.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Try checking carefully under a bright light. I can practically guarantee you you'll see more than one scratch.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I'm totally naked (and so is my iPhone 4).

I find this glass so much less susceptible to fingerprints that is a true joy not to have to be constantly cleaning it. I have no desire to put a covering over it that will require de-greasing after every use.

cenerentola

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I'm totally naked (and so is my iPhone 4).

I find this glass so much less susceptible to fingerprints that is a true joy not to have to be constantly cleaning it. I have no desire to put a covering over it that will require de-greasing after every use.

Everyone keeps saying the iPhone4 has no smudges compared to previous previous iPhones, but my iPhone4 is really smudged up. I noticed that right when I left the store even. My original iPhone had little to no smudging. Is this something that improves over time or did I just seem to get some smudge-prone glass?

On the other hand, no scratches-- yet. Hopefully I won't get any. But I just got the phone today, so it's too soon to say.

Gshockman

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Why are you'll complaing about the glass? Do you not understand that its REVOLUTIONARY it was tested in Apples top secret labs!

NOT! But seriously I think everyone with an i4 will scratch it, the thing scratches so dang easily! Why don't we find a solution instead of posting the same thing over and over again?:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.