Is the iPhone 4's Metal Band Weak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachcheatham, Nov 1, 2010.

1. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

I took my iphone out of the case today and noticed black around the headphone jack. It happened a ring in the shape of the cutout from the case I use. Its a rubber case, so I don't understand how it left that there. I couldn't rub it off with cleaner either. It looks like my case had either stained the metal or scratched it. I looked around the rest of the metal and noticed more little marks. It isn't serious, but it leads me to believe that the iphone's metal band isn't as strong as I would have hoped.

Any one else having that sort of issue?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Are you talking about this ring, because if you are, every iPhone has it

[​IMG]

3. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

No, Its a faded ring from the case that looks like a whitish color if you turn it into a reflection.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Interesting find.

On mine, the darkened pattern left behind is pretty easily rubbed away by my fingertip.

Looks to be the usual dust and oil. (kinda gross if you think about it).

If yours isn't wiping away, it's probably oxidation. It is stainless steel afterall, and without a good coating of CLP, it will oxidize a bit and get a little darker.

Usually this goes unnoticed, but a form fitting case will provide a pattern that shows what's oxidized faster.

5. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Wow. Thanks for that info. Guess I won't worry about it.

6. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Metal polish.

7. JonTa macrumors member

I have just bring my new i4 home, and right after I opened the box I noticed a uneven spot in the metal band, left side approx 1 cm above antenna. Its really visible on the certain angel with light. It looks like different alu on that part, but I really have noone to compare with.

Is that normal?

I have tried wiping with microfiber cloth w/ water but it wont go away.

Its the same thing as its described here, whitish spot on the metal band that looks like its burn-in