Is the iPhone 5 home button glued to the rubber gasket?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I was looking at pics of the iPhone 5 home button on iFixit, and it appears that the plastic part that the user presses is surrounded by a rubber gasket.

Are these pieces glued together, or do they separate with no effort?

2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

From the last 5 and 5c that I serviced, the rubber membrane felt very well attached to the Home button, but if it's glued on, you should be able to peel it off carefully; a quick search on the Bay shows that the membrane and Home button are separate. Sent from my iPad.

3. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I am curious about the internal assembly of these phones, but I only have 1 iPhone and I don't want to risk breaking it by taking apart. Guess I could buy a broken used one :)

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

No problem! That's how I started getting into repairing phones as a hobby; I studied iFixit guides and YouTube tear downs almost ceremoniously just out of curiosity and passion for learning how my iPhone is put together... Well one day, my friend at work had a broken screen on her 4s, and I offered to fix it for her. Turns out, after I did a good job at it (beginners luck), people around work caught wind of what I was doing, word spread, and the rest is history.

I think if you take it slow and begin with the easy stuff, find an opportunity and don't screw it up...you might find yourself fixing phones one day. Just for fun. ;) Best way to know all about the device you use every day...what to do/not do with em, know just how durable/fragile which parts are, etc. Good luck! Sent from my iPad.

5. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Nice post! :)

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Why thank you. :) Sent from my iPad.

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's a simple sticky backed piece of rubber. I replaced mine before, after ordering a replacement one from eBay. It's not glue. It's a very simple process to replace.