Is the iPhone 5c current or previous generation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KBurke02, Aug 9, 2014.

1. KBurke02 macrumors newbie

Had this debate with a friend and it was kind of mind blowing haha

Is the iPhone 5c considered the current generation since it was released alongside the 5s or is it past generation? To me it's current because it has SOME slight improvements over the iphone 5 and because it was released in 2013.

Of course it could also be considered the previous generation due to specs. I guess my primary concern is the 5c will only see updates to ios 8 and 9 unlike other iPhones that have seen three ios updates.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Does it matter?

I'd say its current as it is the last gen of that model. An item remains current until it is replaced or retired.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I suspect that it will only be updated to iOS 9 rather than iOS 10 as I suspect the 5s will be. So I guess I come down on the side that it is last gens phone, not this gen.

4. cynics macrumors G4

It should get the same as the 5 based on specs. So the 5C won't be supported as long or the 5 will be supported longer then normal.

Then again they could just base it off year/amount of updates and give the 5C an update to iOS 10.

Tough to say really.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 5C is basically an iPhone 5 with a slightly bigger battery and better LTE provision. The basic spec of the phone is coming up to two years old.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

It was released at the same time, and its all semantics as to what "generation" it is. But because of the hardware in it being a year older than the 5S, I consider it to be of the previous generation. Sort of like a revamped iPhone 5.

I consider the trend to still be 4 > 4s > 5 > 5s. I categorize the 5C within the 5. But that just might be me :p

7. Imhzw macrumors newbie

Imhzw

Due to the A6 processor, I think if iPhone 5 stop to upgrade iOS, 5c will either.

8. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

Depends on if you define generations in terms of year made or specs.