Is the iPhone 5S as powerful as the PS4 with iOS 8 Metal codes ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jun 8, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

The demo game looks so realistic and all the things that's able to process. It seems that the metal codec thing is going to make the games run like a PS4 does? EXCEPT the RAM I believe?

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Not yet. Give it 3-4 generations.

3. pmau macrumors 65816

These demos only up the numbers for concurrently rendered objects.
    For real interaction that also requires more "state", i.e movement, collision etc. you quickly reach the limits of computing power and need to process to much data.

Having 100 or 10.000 random fish rendered in a pond that just follow a pre-computed path probably modified by shader extensions is not the same as a fully dynamic multiplayer game on a console.

Modifying state based on on player movements and interaction with the world model requires shuffling data between the application (CPU/RAM) and GPU (vertex data, light, etc.)

For a dynamic game, all of this needs to happen in real-time, leaving you with 33 milliseconds if you "only" run at 30 fps ... think about that.

The iPhone will not handled that no matter how close to the hardware you get.
    Just think about the amount of RAM/CPU and GPU cores a console has to create that data on the fly.

Also, consoles do not run on battery power.

4. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Definently not a powerful as a XB1 or PS4. Without playing it, I would guess the iPhone 5S would on par with a PS2.

5. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Actually, more like PS3, especially with A8 in iPhone 6.

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Nope lol. GPU is better in PS3.

7. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

at this point in time phones are not anywhere near the ps3 or xbox 360 in terms of graphical capability. They are beginning to surpass the ps2 and original xbox. The ps2 ran GTA san Andreas at 640x480 and 30 fps. the iPhone 5 runs GTA San Andreas at 1136x640, and 60 fps. iPhone 5s and high end android flagships only get better.

Even if they are the best-spec chips and running the best code, the current smartphone hardware simply does not have enough bandwidth to push the same detail as a ps3 or xbox 360. Keep in mind most console games run at 1280x720, sometimes anti-aliased, with all major details enabled. Current effects that run fine on console but are still a problem on mobile include: HDR effect, motion blur, higher quality textures, full polygon count, tessellation, smooth smoke, real time lighting, real-time physics, and shaders. Consoles are purpose-built to push maximum bandwidth. Phones can be built this way too, and may some day surpass consoles in power, but the fact that they are small means they will have to make up for the low bandwidth in other ways. Mobile also misses out on any new tech introduced for PS4 and Xbox One, as the OpenGL version is different. Future phones may get an updated OpenGL.

I will love the day my phone is as powerful as a ps3, but that is still far-off. Phones are still only as powerful as a desktop from 2004-2005.

8. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

9. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I can't believe how optimistic people are when it comes to comparisons like this.

No, the iPhone isn't anywhere near a PS4. Nor a PS3. Maybe on par if not a little worse than a PS2. Even then, comparing an iPhone to a gaming console just doesn't work. You can't compare two entirely different architectures made for two entirely different tasks like that.

10. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Well, iPhone 5 (A6) is faster than PS2 and 5s (A7) is almost 3x more powerful than iPhone 5. The iPhone 6 in roughly three months away and it will probably be 2x more powerful than iPhone 5s.

Just for ex. A7 is capable of around 120 GFLOPs. PS3 is at around 230, and PS2 is only capable of 6 GFLOPs. Based on these numbers we're much closer to PS3 power than we are to PS2.