Is the iPhone 5S worth $650?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Nov 5, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to buy a new phone off contract, however I can't help noticing the huge price difference between the latest Nexus 5 ($350) and the iPhone 5S ($650) despite the Nexus 5 being better hardware wise. Where is the $300 difference coming from?

If I didn't have a lot of apps already, I think the Nexus 5 would be a no-brainer to me?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5S 16 gb version.

4. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

That comment is pretty redundant. It's understood what he is talking about.

To OP, honestly I believe unless u want iOS get the nexus 5. But then u can get an refurb iPad mini from apple store for 249 and get to use iOS and still pay less then one iPhone 5s .
    So it's totally upto u. I pay full off contract price for my phones always coz I change phones almost every 9-12 months. But the price Google is selling nexus 5 and nexus 4 before that is making me double think if paying 650 for a phone is really worth it . :)

5. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I agree with the poster above. If you are not already invested in the ecosystem, ie you have lots of apps/accessories (like me) or your family has lots of iDevices (like mine) it's a coin toss to go android vs iOS. I would probably go android.

If you are looking mainly at cost then definitely go android. Although, iPhones hold their value very well and resell easily.

I like the aesthetics of the iPhone more than any other phone on the market, so that's also something to consider. Most android phones don't look all that great to me, even though some are better overall devices than the iPhone.

6. Jeans89, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Jeans89 macrumors regular

iPhone 5S is not good value compared to Nexus 5. But there is a lot of people (including me) who are willing to pay some premium, because they like so much iOS and the Apple ecosystem.

7. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

If you're not locked into the iOS eco system with a lot of purchases, or honestly don't mind buying apps again, now would be the best time to make a switch to a Nexus 5. God damn that's a nice phone at a nice price.

8. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

This is exactly why they have priced the Nexus 5 at this price, this is the only way Google can get people to think about making the change from an iOS device.

9. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Sure is.

I'll tell you this, if Nexus or Motorola comes out with a device that runs stock android and is made of premium materials like the iPhone, there is a good chance I will jump ship.

One thing that sucks about it is that the subsidized price looks like it will come in at $149. The carriers are only knocking off $200 where they are taking off $300-400 for other flagship devices.

----------

See, I'm thinking Google needs to do the opposite and fight Apple in their own backyard. If they threw in an extra $100 and made the same phone (through Nexus or Motorola) with high quality materials and put stock android on it, a lot of iPhone users would consider it. Especially in light of the fact that ios7 hasn't been very enchanting.

10. rockitdog Suspended

One of the biggest reasons I like Apple and am ok paying more for their devices are because of the service that comes with it. If my iPhone has something wrong with it I can take it to Apple and more than likely if it's not something I did wrong, I'll walk out with a working replacement right then and there.

If your Android stops working, good luck getting it serviced or even having back in your hands in 7-10 days. Sorry but I can't go 7-10 days without my phone. That piece of mind is easily worth the extra money to me.

11. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

I paid full price for the space gray 5s and I love it. It is a great phone that will last multiple years and there will always be accessories for it. Like the above post, Apple customer service is top notch and there is plenty of support. If you are uncomfortable with 650, theres the 5c and 4s, two very good phones

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I'm sorry, but the Nexus 5 is not better than the iPhone 5s hardware wise. It has an inferior rear camera, no Touch ID, a 32 bit processor, it's made entirely of plastic, etc. One can argue that the Nexus 5 is perhaps a better phone overall for its price, but it's not better hardware wise.

13. Ghostbusters macrumors regular

Agreed. Even if it did have better hardware, doesn't it make it better either. It's all about user experience. That's like buying a Sega Saturn over an NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) because it has better specs and plays CDs.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Nonsense ...
    Can you run iOS on Nexus ? No ? Then iPhone 5s is better for me ....

BTW I would like to pay 650$ for a 5s: here in Italy is about 900$ :(

15. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Listen to this week's TWiT. They had Myriam Joire on, formerly of Engadget, who did a very good job of explaining the pluses and minuses of the Nexus 5 compared to the iPhone.

Here's one other data point that I'll throw in. I just sold my wife's 32GB iPhone 4, which we got about month after launch. It was running iOS7, and I got $170 for a 3.5 year old, well used phone. Show me ANY three year old Android phone that's going to get the Kit-Kat update. Show me ANY three year old Android phone that anyone would still be willing to pay $170 for. Apple supports their devices far longer than any other manufacturer, and their devices retain their value very well.

16. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I would go nexus 5 in a heart beat! Do it! Money saved! Is money earned!

17. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

exactly and u get an ipad mini with the money saved and use both ;)

18. emseven macrumors regular

The Nexus 5 costs around $200 to produce but you are not the customer you are being sold to advertisers so Google makes the margin back. It will be updated next year then no longer.

The iPhone 5s costs around $200 and you are enjoying a premium Apple product with five years of iOS support and the Genius Bar.

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You guys have to throw in the resell value, the quality blah-blah. That sound more like justification for you than for OP.

What if OP's entire concern is bang-for-the-buck? NOW!, not what he can get tomorrow or cares if people make fun of this plastic phone. He just want to DO more with less$ TODAY and he's not tied to he ecosystem.

20. dt808 macrumors member

I currently own a galaxy note 3 and love it. I've owned the iphone 3gs, 4, 4s, and 5.

I got tired of the tiny iphone screen and seeing the same stuff. I've also owned android phones before, but preferred iPhones. Finally not missing the iPhone and don't think I will. I also have a macbook air, love it..

Nexus 5 is a great device and so is the iPhone 5c/5s. Get what you want and what you can afford.

Good luck!

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was far from it. I was asking because I didn't know.
    Your rating of my comment is duly noted.

22. Paskell macrumors member

Because google sells it cheap, people think it has cheap parts but it does not. sure it has no aluminum sides.. well sorry but some metal on a phone isn't worth $300 bucks i personally have a 4s and decided to get a nexus 5 due to the screen size and that iPhone has been way to similar since the 4. i do love ios7 though.

----------

i agree i will always be apple computers, have a 2009 MBP and a 2013 iMac, love them both

23. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Verizon wants $600 for me to upgrade to 5S..no way I am paying that..

24. edhchoe macrumors 6502

It's rather android vs iPhone not $300 vs $650.
    iPhone was my choice.