Is the iPhone 6 Plus still worth buying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baconroll, Dec 25, 2015.

1. baconroll macrumors member

Hi - John Lewis in the UK are offering the iPhone 6 Plus for £589 for the 128gb model in their sale. They claim £200 off although the 128gb is no longer sold and wouldn't be £789 now anyway but it does seem like a good deal. Just wondered if the iPhone 6S plus is that much better i.e. better aluminium, camera, 3D touch etc. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Just clarify, I know the specs are much better on the newer model, but was curious as to whether or not you would miss out on too much. Thanks.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Essentially, one of the big differences is 2GB of ram in the 6s+ and 7000 grade aluminum.

If you aren't a heavy app user and aren't prone to the kind of things that tend to bend aluminum then the 6+ is still a good phone.

Sorry…aluminium. ;)

3. Lockon macrumors regular

The iPhone 6 Plus is very frustrating to use. If you use it regularly, the anemic 1GB of ram constantly causes apps and safari pages to reload. It's manageable, but slow compared to the 6S or iPad Air 2. If you mainly check mail and listen to music, then the older 6 Plus is just fine. Unless you can get a great deal on one, I'd say save up and wait for the 6S Plus.

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

On the other hand, I've noticed that in using my 6S and 6S+, webpages no longer reload even after going to them a few days later after opening the shortcut that I've created to the app on my screen. I often have to reload the page manually. I kind of liked the reloading on the old iPhones.

5. canvasback13 macrumors regular

yes. it's still a great phone. I got 2 free 6+ 128s recently and decided to try one. The reviews of its short comings are very over blown on this forums. I rarely notice any lags. I switched from a regular 6, and really can't tell the difference. Love the battery life. 6s+ is faster, my wife has one. The 6 plus is not the dog its made out to be here

A normal user will be happy with the 6+

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

7. Dreads macrumors member

6+ still a good phone not as slow as some say imo camera is still one of the best out there apples latest update seems to have made battery life better and runs a whole lot smoother too...

8. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

It honestly depends on how you use the phone, but basically:

-Battery life and camera are a wash. They are exceptional on the 6+ and the 6s+ didn't improve on either.

-The stronger aluminum on the 6s+will give you a little extra peace of mind but honestly, you're not likely to bend your 6+ in normal use. People have, (not discounting #bendgate) but most people haven't had issues with that.

The only real reasons to get the 6s+ over the 6+ is 3D Touch and increased performance. I use 3D Touch a lot, but do I need it? Not really. I could live without it, all though I would miss the virtual track pad.

The deciding factor for me is the performance. The difference is like night and day...for me. You may not even notice the difference between the two, as others have said.

My advice. If you multitask a lot and want a device with smooth animations under all conditions, spend the extra money and get the 6s+. Otherwise, the 6+ is more than sufficient. It's a great phone.

9. appledefenceforce macrumors 6502

appledefenceforce

I wouldn't get the iPhone 6 plus. I never complain about RAM on the iPhone (cuz I don't open multiple web pages on safari at once) however the for the iPhone 6 plus it seriously cripples the phone from time to time. 1gb is fine on the iPhone 6 though.

10. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

My 6+ plus is holding very well. Fast, responsive, and I dont really notice the reload lf tabs unless i have 3+ open. Its still a very capable device and for the price you mentioned it is worth it. 128gb for the win!

11. cababah macrumors 68000

+1. I've found that enabling Reduce Transparency helps smooth out the experience a lot but the tab reloads will still exist.

12. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

iPhone 6+ is a fantastic device. I feel like when a newer model comes out, people often tend to disregard or talk down about the previous model just because a new one is out. I love the 6+. The 6S+ is a better version of course. Is it a mind blowing upgrade? Of course not. Does 2GB make a difference? I guess it does. Reloading of webpages is meh to me. 3D touch I didn't particularly use. So what am I left with by getting a 6S+? a 6 plus lol. Now, this is all my opinion. Another thing I didn't really like about the s series is the extra weight it added. Definitely noticeable compared to the 6 plus. Not a dramatic difference, but a enough to notice. If you read through the threads, you'll find that most people love the fact that the web pages don't reload thanks to the extra gig they put in. That is on the bottom of my list honestly. So if you care about web pages not being refreshed often, get a 6S+. Otherwise, a 6 plus would suffice.
    [​IMG]