Is the iPhone 6 TRULY one-handed or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unagimiyagi, Sep 14, 2014.

1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

This is all I care about. iPhone 5s deadline to return to Apple store is in two days, unfortunately.

One-handed use is what's going to decide it for me.

2. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Well, that depends.

How big are you hands? Are they big enough to shuffle a phone around in your hand to reach the top part of the screen comfortably?

If not do you consider 'reachability' an ideal one-handed soution?

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I will still be able to type one handed on the 4.7, so it is still one handed in my eyes.

Reach ability will allow me to reach that far upper corner, so I don't perceive any issues.

5. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

Dont know yet yo. Ask in a few days but, wait, there will be no certain answer because peoples hands are different sizes.

6. bnahms123 macrumors newbie

absolutely 1 handed. almost same dimensions as my gs4. I'm 5'4 with small hands and i can brace the bottom of the phone against my pinky, while scrolling down notification center(settings on android) with my thumb

7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Depends on the hand, and how you're holding it. Go to a store and hold phones...

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I can use my Lumia 920 one handed, so I expect to be able to use the iPhone 6 one handed as well.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Depends on you definition of one handed. To me it's being able to easily text on handed. In that respect yes it would be. If it's being able to access the whole screen without having to juggle it in your have then I would say no unless you have hands on the large side.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

11. BJabs macrumors newbie

Should be pretty easy to determine. Put your current phone in your hand. Can you reach .7 inches beyond the upper left corner of the screen, diagonally (assuming you're using your right hand)? If you can, you should be good. I can reach well beyond the upper left corner of my 4S, so I expect to be able to comfortably use my 6 one-handed.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I have a medium guys hand and I can barely reach the top of the 5 with one handed use and have dropped it a few times when doing so. I made a cardboard approximation for the 6 based on its specs and I can only reach the bottom 3/4 of the screen, no way I can reach the top with one hand. For that reason I'm going for the 6 Plus for its added benefits (it's massive but still fits in my jeans pocket).

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not that much bigger so yes.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Medz1

14. BJabs macrumors newbie

Do you have small thumbs, or something? Barely being able to reach the top of the 5 is surprising for a "medium guy".

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Maybe it's the way I hold it. I'm one of the "you're holding it wrong" guys. My hands fit in medium gloves perfectly.

16. BJabs macrumors newbie

I hold my phone with my pinky underneath. I push towards me with my index, middle, and ring fingers to bring the top of the phone toward my thumb when I need to reach the top of the screen.

17. shaunmed macrumors regular

do you have 2 hands?

if so get over it.

if not, eh, sorry.

18. Mac Wolf macrumors member

Print out templates you guys. Make the determination for yourself.

19. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    Nobody here owns the phone...yet.

So Google is your friend.

Lots of videos of people holding both the 6 and 6 Plus giving their impressions.

20. BJabs macrumors newbie

We often carry things with our hands

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I do that too and it's just too easy to drop that way since you don't really have a good grip. I've got two small kids. It's an issue for me.

22. urkel macrumors 68030

Two myths are going to be busted this year:

1) One-Handed Use isn't limited to small screens
    Our hands are NOT as small as people think. This "one-handed use" myth was created as a direct result of Apple choosing NOT to follow the industry trend of larger screens. Android users got 4" screens and Apple defenders (the loud ones) start screaming how 4" is too big for one handed use. Then Apple got 4" screens and the same users start screaming how 4" is perfect and anything bigger is too big.

What we're going to see this year is the exact same thing. Apple users are going to discover that 4.7", with a slight hand readjustment, is just as manageable but provides a better experience. (And also that 5.5" is a fantastic size if you maintain a reasonable width. BOTH devices will be just fine with one hand)

2) Pockets are meant to carry things
    This "pocketable" debate is obnoxious because people act as if their pockets actually have nerve endings that can detect (and reject) its contents. The new iPhone isn't like when you have too many receipts in your wallet because the thickness of the device is thin enough that it contours with the shape of the pocket. You may know you have a phone in your pocket but you won't exactly know what model it is unless you take it out.

(Yes, people with ultra tight pants will "feel" a larger phone in their pocket but those people already have dealt with this issue and concluded that they need to keep the phone in the back pocket or purse. That is going to be no different with an iPhone 6)

23. shaunmed macrumors regular

or drive with one, bad bad bad!

24. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Technically yes, but you have to adjust your grip to reach all areas of the phone if you have normal size hands. If I hold the phone the way I normally do (and prefer to), I cannot reach the top of the screen. While I love most aspects of the phone, the hard truth is that it's too big.

25. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Not one handed like all other iPhones before it. You can use it in one hand but it's not as comfortable or stable depending on your hand size.