Is the iphone 6S T-mobile automatically unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigjnyc, Feb 3, 2016.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hi need a quick answer on this one if possible. I am looking to buy a T-mobile iPhone 6S from someone on craigslist. Getting a good price.... However I have AT&T.... The person does not know whether the phone is unlocked or not. I am under the impression that all iphones purchased from T-mobile come unlocked.... is that correct?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, that is not correct.

If it was bought on a lease or EIP - it's not unlocked.

There is a loophole that allows iPhone owners on a lease to unlock their phone if they have had an active account for around 40 days. My wife and I unlocked our phones because of this (we have leases). And T-Mobile won't unlock anything on EIP unless you've paid 50% at least of the device.

But unless the person made an active choice to ask for an unlock, T-Mobile doesn't just give you one.

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Aaargh ok I see. Let me get some more info and see if they leased it. I doubt they've paid more than 50% already if so. Thanks for the info!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem.

If they leased it, but qualified for and received an unlock then it would be unlocked - even if they owed on the lease still (which is a different can of worms).

But the crucial point here is that they have to ASK for it. It's not automatic.

And if they paid outright for it up front - they'd still have had to ask. If they didn't, or whomever originally received the phone didn't - it's still locked.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, its not unlocked.
    Only the T Mobile iphone purchased for full price at the Apple store is unlocked.
    Or like Eric said if they requested an unlock from Tmobile and it got approved.

6. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

If the iPhone is currently being leased and not more than half paid off I would walk away from that. Big risk or the person stopping payments on lease and you're left with a nice brick assuming ain't and tmobile share their blacklist like they were suppose to since 2013.