Is the iPhone 7 shaping up to be an underwhelming upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Mar 31, 2016.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I can't think of a new iPhone launch that I looked forward to less than the iPhone 7. All leaks so far have been pretty disappointing. I guess smartphones have matured so much that it is impossible to get excited about them anymore. Not sure what else is there left to innovate except to keep making everything thinner until you are just holding an LCD screen.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm excited for the iPhone 7. I think there will be a bunch of surprises.

3. beeinformed macrumors 6502

I hope they include optic image stabilization hardware in the iPhone 7 model as that's one of the features that I would really love to see in it.

4. oldmacs, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

oldmacs macrumors 68040

Sounds like its going to be thinner with no battery impairments and no 3.5mm headphone jack, which in my opinion places it amongst the 3G and possibly the 6 (since the larger screen didn't interest me) as the most disappointing upgrades. I'm sure it will sell more than the 6S though, it will be a success as people don't have the same needs/wants as me.

Could be wrong though. As others have pointed out, we don't know what the 7 will be.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, with nothing really to go on, it's shaping up like anything that anyone wants to come up with.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It's shaping up to be an underwater success. Waterproof!

7. mtcowdog macrumors regular

Maybe. The 7 is a technologically kick ass upgrade, but it isn't an Apple design superiority upgrade. I can't figure out the the iPhone 7. Apple can do everything. They know it. We know it. They have the under the hood expertise and the blow our minds design expertise. This is a profit-only motivated update. I have this hunch that Apple doesn't understand what we see and rely upon to make purchase choices. They are stuck in a profit mode. I can't complain about that from a capitalist perspective. But I can complain about that as a consumer. They know they can drive the industry. Of course they can. If they can't, they should fire everyone at the top. If this isn't clear to all of us, I struggle to understand us.

8. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Good, one less competition for early shipment

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Screen, camera, processor, memory, button, waterproofing. There's meaningful updates to all of the hardware. Although not the biggest, it seems like one of the bigger hardware updates.

Once you take some phones apart the case just begins to look like the shell it is. Similar to the protective cases so many of us out on our phones. No matter how nice to look at that aspect doesn't seem to be worth much.

10. galahan macrumors member

We each value enhancements according to our personal preferences but a few I really value:
    • Louder speakers: This is a huge for me because if I'm listening to something with my built-in speakers on the 6S I can't do anything else that makes noise such as washing dishes, showering, washing face...
    • M1 chip: I hate how finicky bluetooth pairing is. Sometimes they connect right away other times I have to go into settings and manually press them even though they say they're connected. I'm hoping that either some airpods or beats earphones will make this a thing of the past.
    • Waterproofing: I've had 2 phones commit aquatic suicide in the last 5 yrs.

11. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

The iPhone 7 is not waterproof... It is water resistant. Big difference.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The previous phone had no resistance rating. Resistance is already a big improvement. My point stands.