Is the iPhone compatible with Nike+ ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgpg89, May 9, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Because on the website I only find information about the iPod nano and touch.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Nope it's not. I'm sure the next iPhone will be capable though.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

But then the question remains ... will the iPhone be comfortable to use when running? (due to its weight/size)

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

When I go running, i wear your standard adidas basketball shorts and my iPhone flops around too much. The iPod touch might be different because it is a lot skinnier.

I thought about getting an iPod nano to use with the Nike+, but then i realized I would have an iPhone and iPod with me when i go running/walking, because I don't want to be without a phone.

So in the long run, i'm keeping my iPhone and I'm just going to wait till it works with the Nike+ kit. I might invest in an armband or something though. Or just get smaller pockets lol.

5. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I have a similar kind of shorts and my car keys & ultra-slim cellphone are the most I can bear in my pockets ...

Do you think the size/weight are the reason why the current iPhone isn't supported?

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Nah, the iPhone doesn't have the FM transmitter the iPod Touch and iPod nano have.

But oh well, I'm still managing to run with my iPhone. It's not THAT bad. I just have to tie my shorts tight because otherwise they would sink so fast when my phone starts flopping around.

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

OK, thanks for the advice!

8. Ansuz macrumors regular

I'd imagine it would be no more uncomfortable than the iPod Touch, which has the receiver.

I go running/to the gym with my iPhone all the time using an armband and its just fine. I really wish that it did have the Nike+ technology.

9. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Isn't the armband annoying? (I mean ... you're sweating quite a lot under that armband, aren't you?)

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Could the iPhone 3G use BT? and then the new one use FM/BT 3?

Just done a 10k run with iPhone using RunKeeper - was fine. pop it in pocket, tap the software locked screen when you want stats read out to you - no problem with weight.

11. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I lagged about 30 seconds in my 5 kilometer run when I bring my iPhone with me according to my timer. Other times I'm 30 seconds faster, I always feel the iPhone as a drag/anchor when running.

12. ginguar macrumors regular

I don't find mine annoying, it's one of the belkin ones and will happily workout for 1-1.5 hours at the Gym with mine on, the case is really sweaty when you take it off, but you don't feel it when it's on.

13. Ansuz macrumors regular

Same story for me. Once I have it strapped on I tend to forget its even there

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

iPhone = Phone. iPod Shuffle = Perfect workout mp3 player.

And no, iPhone is not Nike + capable and I doubt apple will make the new one capable because then people would have a legitimate case about their moisture sensors being falsely activated.

15. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Exactly what I was thinking ... but doesn't the iPod touch have these sensors as well?

16. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

But the Touch is Nike+ capable and the water sensors are pretty much the same as the iPhone.

However, I think they will leave out Nike+ from the iPhone because it is differentiating feature of the iPod touch. I think Apple will do what they can to keep the two models separate. Features like GPS, HSDPA, Nike+ and storage sizes (as in the iPod will always have a bigger storage capacity) will probably be things that never cross over.

17. imacericg macrumors regular

Some aspects I wish it was, but on the other hand my nano is small and an iPhone on my arm might feel like weights.

18. lindmar macrumors 6502

I just carry my iphone when I run and use iMapMyRun or RunKeeper both which work very well.