Is the iphone helping the US economy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B.King, Aug 5, 2008.

1. B.King macrumors member

B.King

How come they are letting the new iphone get released elsewhere (Japan)? Did the contract between ATT only limit USA sales? Personally I think the release of the iphone globally will help stimulate the US economy. and here is why...

My speculation is that for how much money we spend on fuel most of that money is ending up in other countries economies. With the iphone being released globally, it could meet the global demand. From what we have seen the demand is there and in turn raising the stocks for Apple which equals more money for the investors.

Bill Gates played a large role in the US economy by revolutionizing an operation system that is now used around the world. Apple seems to have the same thing going on with the iphone, in turn bringing more people to apple all together and increasing sales.

But if they stick with selling to the US now all we are doing is recycling the US economy.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No... the iPhone doesn't really help the US economy. It shows how America is still willing to spend money when they don't have it. I can assure you that many, many people bought the phone and didn't think of the long term. It's just AT&T for the US, but it is different all across the world.

What helps the economy is something that everyone uses... not a specific phone. Such things as the things we need to live on.

3. JWages macrumors regular

4. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

If the iphone sales a mass amount of phones and the Percent of stock owners is larger in the US then how could it not be helping the economy? It truly is a revolutionary mobile phone.

All of these phone carriers that have been making phones for generations cant seem to fulfill the desire of an iphone. Samsung Glyde, LG dare/ Voyager, HTC Touch, the Symbian nokiaa phones all launching new and exciting promises as the iphone killer. But what phone really kills the iphone?

5. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i actually bet it does, with all these profits that apple is making. And apple pays taxes so...american government makes money.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

come on think man. the only economy it helps is the top .01% just like anything else. The rich get richer.

7. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

I think that is very closed minded, the companies who are making money off just accessories alone for this phone. The smart get richer, the dumb settle for less. Write that down.

Suggested Book of the day... WHO MOVED MY CHEESE By: Spencer Johnson

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i love that saying

"the rich get richer"

it's so true. i'd love to get into that, but i'd be going off topic...

9. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

For apple the iphone was an investment. Weather they had the money to do it on there own or they spent money they did not have, the investment has or will pay off. I would have loved to personally be in the position of Steve Jobs and I would have acted on the opportunity. Opportunity waits for nobody.

And with 21 countries apple is now selling to and 50 countries alone on the waiting list to pick up apples iphone then you would be blind to think that making the iphone was America spending money they do not have. :cool:

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

what does the rain or snow have to do with it?:p

Just curious, do you really think that all rich people are smart and all poor people are dumb? man I'd like to live in that bubble. wait, maybe not:rolleyes:

11. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

Because I once was poor and I changed that. Not statistics.

I once lived in your bubble

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

What are you talking about? Products for companys aren't really investments.

Apple is a company. They make a profit. They are successful because they play their cards right. Steve Jobs is just a CEO. He didn't invent the iPhone. There is a whole time that invented it, built it, built it's platform, marketed it, and so on.

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I appreciate your qualitative perspective and will leave the complexity of the subject for another thread. I will just say that you are the exception that proves the rule.

14. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

And that is the Question... Even tho time brought the iphones technology. A US company holds that technology and markets it and makes A LOT of $$$$$$

Is that not going to help the economy? Every iphone purchased around the world lands a large percentage of $$$$$$ into the US economy. I have yet to see a phone that is on waiting lists for countries to pick up. Put aside the US being on the list of many due to FCC Regulations.

15. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

True we are getting out of the topics true question. I am no one special. I just live my life the way I want because life is what you make it. I chose not to believe that statistics could keep me poor. Even if they show accuracy.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No, it's not. As i said, phones really have no help to the economy. It's things like cars. Cars help / break the economy because that creates a lot more money, and a lot more work. You need like 1/100 of employees to make an iPhone than it takes to run a car company like GM. The only thing related to the iPhone that helps the economy is probably Apple stocks.... which you have to own in.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

A US company? please... apple is a global corporation. It really is not a Ford vs. Toyota world anymore. You have to see things from a macro perspective. Yes, what affects the US economy affects the global economy but it has nothing to do with your brother, neighbor or drinkin' buddy. The only thing that is going to help the american economy are the same things that will help the global economy... as was mentioned earlier things that people need and wide-sweeping change in general consumer perspective. Eventually people will be forced to wake up but for now most prefer their slumber.

18. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

So the iphone does not help the US economy?

19. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

No, apple is not helping the economy. Neither did the stimulus checks, or the POS gas price break.

20. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i heard on my local news station - back when everyone got there stimulus check - that good things to buy were american made products - and the reporter specifically said 'apple computers' and not to blow it on gas. lol
    thats how i bought this wonderful phone.

21. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

So if apple were non existant... we would be in the same shoes we are wearing... minus the technology we have gained... back to buying samsung from asia, nokia from finland? and wait... doesnt everyone you know own a phone?

When they buy a phone made in finland... does the money go to finland? or do they give it back?

When my neighbor/drinking buddy cashes his stocks that he bought in February of last year from apple at 70.00, for the 160.00 they are worth now he hasn't made any money?

22. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes he has but that doesn't help the american economy at all. Particularly since the nice new things and gasoline he goes to spend his earnings on will be sucked back up into the vacuum of global corporate finance.

btw, I love apple and my iphone, I just see through the lies that we are being fed by the ignorant ( and by ignorant I don't mean those that don't know, but rather those that don't care). Maybe it's because I live so close to Harlem, I don't know.

23. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

The majority of the country, you know.. the ones that are directly affected by the "economic slump" are not owners of Apple stock or any stock for that matter. The individuals in posession of such stocks are considered slightly higher than middle class, or upper class.

Did someone from our country profit? Yes... is it helping our economy? No.

To help the economy, in the world we currently live in, and in the United States specifically, you need to drive profit and financial gains in the lower class and lower middle class groups.

You can't argue with that.

24. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well said and although the Clinton administration wasn't perfect, they understood this much better than the administrations prior and current...

25. B.King thread starter macrumors member

B.King

Who is allowed to buy apple stock? Knowledge is power... if you know this stock will make you money... Will you chose to make it is the question.