Is the iphone right for me now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAKnits, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. DAKnits macrumors newbie

    Jan 9, 2008
    First, I have to admit I am totally new to this world. For use at the gym, I was given a ipod Nano 3g 4gb for the Holidays which is the first time I've ever seen an ipod. :eek: I was at the Apple store intending on exchanging it for the 8gb model for the extra $50 when I was "introduced" to the iphone by an employee there. I am a total internet junkie, so the prospect of having the internet, an ipod, and a phone all-in-one is very appealing, plus I really like the map features and all the cool extras. I also like the idea of not having to wear two devices at the gym, both an ipod and a phone (which I have to have on me in case my daughter's school calls. I'll only be at the gym for an hour, three days a week at most, so is this reason enough to get the iphone at this point? I would also play with it while waiting for my daughter at ballet and gymnastics, but obviously this is hardly a necessity.

    I am a current ATT user, and would only choose the additional $20/month plan. I currently use the Motorola Razor phone and really like how little it is, so the size of the iphone a negative for me. Eventually I know that I will get one, but since I don't *need* one right now, I'm wondering if I should wait the 6 months to a year for the newer/improved model.

    So ... do I keep the iphone I just bought (I haven't opened the box yet), or do I return it, and instead of investing $200 in a Nano, should I just get a shuffle for the limited purpose I need it for at the gym until I do get an iphone? :confused: If I return the iphone, is the Nano worth the extra money over the shuffle, even if I end up getting the iphone within 6 months to a year?

    If the iphone is the best option for me, do I keep it until after the Macworld Keynote address? I will still be within the 14 day return policy at the time of the conference. If I keep it and the price drops after the announcements, will Mac refund me the difference in price (and do you think the price reduction would occur right away or in a few weeks/months). Or should I return it now, and wait until after the Keynote to buy it again, in case the price drops after my 14 day return policy has expired? :confused:

    Sorry for all of the questions! No one I know is familiar with any of this!
  2. calvy macrumors 65816

    Sep 17, 2007
    I'd probably want to try to wait until the Macworld keynote. But I'm terrible with patience, so I'd have a hard time not ripping it open.

    Other than the prospect of something new coming out next week, I think the iPhone would fit your needs well. I went from a Razr to an iPhone as well, and although the iphone is larger and heavier, it's no more uncomfortable in my pocket than the razr was. And for me, when running and working out, it's so nice to have my ipod and my phone with me in one device. I use the timer function during my jogs to time different legs.
  3. DAKnits thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks for the advice

    Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that another razr owner is happy with the switch. So far, I've been keeping the box in the other room so I don't get tempted to open it. :) I definitely want an iphone, I just don't want to make a mistake by getting one now when I can wait for a better version. The world of ipods is so new to me anyway that I'm OK with getting an ipod (don't know which one though) for now if the new iphone will be out within the year. But would the new version be a lot more expensive than $400 because of the 3G capability? That would make a difference because I don't want to spend more than that on my phone. Is there any talk of the phone getting thinner? I haven't seen any rumors that address the size or weight of the phone, just about the applications and 3G. Again, thanks for helping such a newbie out!

Share This Page