Is the iPhone screen HD? I ask this because Apple just announced HD ABC,CBS,FOX,&NBC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. JAWWC macrumors regular

Is it just me that thinks HD should be judged in ppi? The resolution of the iPhone screen for it's size will look alot more HD that some bigger screens.

4. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

im probably not right but i thought it was at least 720p bc steve said it was the highest res screen apple had shipped. perhaps he was just talking about portables... if not though, i would assume it is HD because before then they had the HD cinema displays out

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That would sure make sense, wouldn't it? People's heads might explode if the technology industry was ever so simple, so don't count on it.

Highest-res = highest ppi. In other words, Steve was bragging about what JAWWC thinks he should be bragging about!

Unfortunately, "highest-res" has nothing whatsoever to do with whether something is HD or not. That is simply a function of pixels. The iPhone doesn't have enough, therefor it is not "HD" as it is curretnly defined.

In the end it doesn't matter since the iPhone's hardware is not capable of playing back those HD shows you get from iTunes. So even if the screen was different, the processor couldn't even play the file in real-time.

6. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

It's not HD. Steve did say the highest res screen, but he meant in terms of ppi, which is 160ppi. The highest resolution screen Apple have shipped is the 30" at 2560 x 1600, the iPhone is 320 x 480. Nowhere near HD! :)

7. DigMe macrumors 6502

Yeah, I agree. In terms of relative perception it's probably comparable to HD and ppi is probably a good way to express that.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

9. tacoshell macrumors regular

While the posts have clearly stated that the iPhone is not HD, it is capable of PLAYING HD video at the iPhones native resolution. If your question was compatibility, as non HD TV's are not able to play HD signals at any resolution, the iPhone can play the HD video from iTunes. I have an episode of The Office with a resolution 1280x720 (720p) and it plays fine.