Is the iPhone Winter Proof?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilnyc, Dec 13, 2007.

1. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

It's snowing with ice right now and my phone flipped out! Granted I had it on the outside if my jacket, but it was in a case. Suddenly the music skipped and no buttons functioned. Once indoors, it immediately responded.

I have not heard of any official effect the weather may have on it, but I assume like any other electronic gadget, the weather does impact its functionality. What do you think?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

While the cold might hinder it's immediate performance, it wouldn't be permanent... on the other hand, leaving it in your car in the summer in TX would affect the battery life...

3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Yes, the iphone will be affected by the weather and temperature:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Environmental requirements
    Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
    Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

If the iPhone is in your jacket, it is very unlikely that it will get down to 32 F. This just means that the entire phone can't go lower than 32, but if you take it out to talk, i'm sure it would be going away fairly quickly or you might need to buy say a new hand due to it freezing. So mostly don't let it get too cold, but it won't hurt to take it out to use.

5. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

This may sound stupid, but do any of you on here that live in the cold use the headphones that come with the iPhone while talking? If so, what is your experience

6. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Haven't used the iPhone headphones yet, but my experience with the iPod headphones is that the cord freezes solid in a few seconds. The music still plays fine but the cord becomes annoyingly stiff. But thats probably bound to happen with any headphones :p

7. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

Thanks for the quick response. It's a shame that I'll be going from my V-moda Vibe's over to the iPhone headphones. I had an iPod back in 2003 and the headphones were ok but I really like my V-moda Vibe's. I guess I'll have to buy one of the adaptors I see that also lets you use the skip and pause feature like the iPhone headphones