Is the iPhone Worth It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chainprayer, Aug 28, 2008.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I'm on a family share plan now that I pay $10/mo for all I need. Is paying the upfront cost and the monthly plan for an iPhone really worth it?

2. calvy macrumors 65816

How do you expect us to know if it's worth YOUR money? Only you can decide. Is it worth it to me? YES. End of story.

3. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i know with some products people tend to buy into it and regret the decision later on. just curious about everyone's purchasing experiences

4. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I don't regret my first gen. iPhone. But I would have regret if I switched it out for the iPhone 3G. Not enough extras to make it worth my money. I am keeping this one until I can get a 64GB version. Plus, I think the first one just looks better.

But nobody is going to be able to tell you the best way to spend your money and what you value in life. You have to make those decisions on your own.

5. ribenaberrie macrumors member

For me it is definitely worth it. I love my iphone and am totally obsessed with it. Yes it has some flaws, but I still love it! :D Definitely worth the money to me. Although I have to admit, I did regret buying it when I first got it and it was only after playing with it for a while and using it for a few days did I become obssessed and love it to bits. :p

But like the others have said, no one can tell you if its worth it to you, its something you have to figure out and in my case, I didn't figure it out until I actually had the phone....

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I agree with the other posters... it really is up to you. It's your money. :)

That said, if you want this phone because you will regularly use the Internet on your phone, and you would like to have a phone and and iPod in one unit, then it is worth considering.

Forget the cost up front. I mean, you only have to pay that once.

The monthly charge is the big concern. If you don't think you're going to use the Internet that often from your mobile phone, then why pay 30 bucks (or 20, if you can find a first gen iPhone) every. single. month.?

YannowhatImean?

If you are buying one just because everyone else has one, you'll probably regret the purchase. You don't NEED an iPhone. You have to want one, and appreciate the functionality and styling of the phone.

I bought the 1st gen on launch day. I didn't stand in line (I do have some dignity... um... no offense to all of you who DID stand in line, we all have our limits, yanno). I paid full price. Apple lowered the price by 200 bucks shortly afterward. I was annoyed. I got my 100-dollar store credit, and, I guess in a sort of up yours Steve maneuver, I bought something that was NOT Apple branded. ;)

I swore I wouldn't upgrade to 3g, because the data plan for the 1st gen was 10 bucks cheaper per month (15 cheaper if you add in the free text messages you get).

Then, I found out... I could get back my corporate discount with a 3g phone! (cue Hallelujah chorus)

Soo... I just upgraded mine last weekend.

But... I still have the same old iBook G4 that I bought back in August of 2005. I'm no Apple FanGirl.

I just like my iPhone.

So there. If you think you'll really, truly, like this phone, and you'll use the data plan to make it worth the money... buy it.

But it is quirky, and you have to baby it now and then. And it will crash occasionally, but dude?

ALL cell phones do that. I know. I used to sell them part-time when I first started grad school.

;)

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I just switched from a $24/mo plan (after the corporate discount) to the $70/mo iPhone plan. Is my iPhone worth the difference to me? Absolutely. Will it be worth it to you? Only you know. ;)

8. Linuss macrumors regular

I love my phone. I switched from $10 a month with Verizon to $60 with T-Mobile.

Will I switch back to Verizon if/when they get an iPhone? In a heartbeat. Will I switch phones? Not unless Apple/my phone does something horrible.

But, as has been beat in to your head, it's up to you as it's your money.

9. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

In my opinion YES :)

The bugs will get worked out (thats one of the best things about apple, though sometimes it may take awhile!!!) and the 3G network will grow, and the iphone will continue to get better...

Honestly i dont think there is a better solution out there right now, unless of course you had an iphone that could tether LOL

10. kamaldeep macrumors newbie

11. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I love my iphone...but the 3g is way unstable...first generation had none of these problems

12. baaron macrumors newbie