Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Hi everyone. I was always one who buys iPhones on release day every year. That trend ended last year when I decided I wasn't going to get the 7 plus, but ended up caving around Christmas. I was perfectly content with my iPhone 7 but it seems like every software update is slowing it down more and more. I did a clean install and it helped, but I'm encountering a lot of issues yet. Now I am in the same situation and I'm looking for some insight.

I paid full price for my 7+ so right now selling on Swappa considering fees, shipping, etc. I'll be losing about $497. Then the plan is to go on an AT&T next agreement which would run my $42/mo. Financially I can afford it, but realistically is it worth the expense? I'm an accountant so my phone primarily sits on my desk while I listen to music and occasionally look at it. I've seen a few posts about people complaining about not being able to unlock it while on desks, so that is one reservation I have other than cost. Other than having the latest and greatest phone, my other draws would be that it's quicker, has a better camera (I take a lot of pictures of cars) and it's different from what I've been using for the past five years. What do you think? Should I 'treat myself' and go get one or am I better off holding out and dealing with my laggy phone? Thanks!

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Hi everyone. I am one that buys iPhones on release day every year. That trend ended last year when I decided I wasn't going to get the 7 plus, but ended up caving around Christmas. I was perfectly content with my iPhone 7 but it seems like every software update is slowing it down more and more. I did a clean install and it helped, but I'm encountering a lot of issues yet. Now I am in the same situation and I'm looking for some insight.

I paid full price for my 7+ so right now selling on Swappa considering fees, shipping, etc I'll be losing about $497. Then the plan is to go on an AT&T next agreement which would run my $42/mo. Financially I can afford it, but realistically is it worth the expense? I'm an accountant so my phone primarily sits on my desk while I listen to music and occasionally look at it. I've seen a few posts about people complaining about not being able to unlock it while on desks, so that is one reservation I have other than cost. What do you think? Should I 'treat myself' and go get one or am I better off holding out and dealing with my laggy phone? Thanks!

I have a 7 non Plus and it’s running good.

Reactions: catean

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I have a 7 non Plus and it’s running good.
In my household we have 3 iPhone 7 Pluses and they all are lagging horribly. When I go to photos and want to send via iMessage they will either lock up or take 30 seconds to attach. Then the time on mine disappears frequently and the battery seems to drain down pretty quickly after installing iOS 11.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
In my household we have 3 iPhone 7 Pluses and they all are lagging horribly. When I go to photos and want to send via iMessage they will either lock up or take 30 seconds to attach. Then the time on mine disappears frequently and the battery seems to drain down pretty quickly after installing iOS 11.

Lot of issues with iOS 11. Luckily I haven’t had any. I would think it’s the software in your situation. Sounds to me you’re itching to get an X cause you got every release.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Lot of issues with iOS 11. Luckily I haven’t had any. I would think it’s the software in your situation. Sounds to me you’re itching to get an X cause you got every release.
Oh yeah I definitely have the itch. I think it would be less if I didn't have these issues though haha. In the past my losses were a lot less as they seemed to hold value better.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The 7 is supposed to have ultra blitzing speed. Can't believe how far ios has fallen with IOS11.
Seems like even with a few people in this thread there are those who aren't having those type of issues.
[doublepost=1513540395][/doublepost]
Perhaps something with the batteries in those phones, which can potentially influence performance as well?

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Seems like even with a few people in this thread there are those who aren't having those type of issues.
[doublepost=1513540395][/doublepost]
Perhaps something with the batteries in those phones, which can potentially influence performance as well?

Yes of course. Yet apple and ios was always about 'it jus works, and fast'.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes of course. Yet apple and ios was always about 'it jus works, and fast'.
And seems for many it essentially does, while there are some here and there that have issues (which isn't that much different with most other updates or really most other software and hardware out there).

Reactions: rugmankc

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
If I did jump on an X, where would I get the most for my phone? It's an unlocked iPhone 7 Plus space gray 128gb. I was thinking maybe asking $600 on Swappa or is that too much?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If I did jump on an X, where would I get the most for my phone? It's an unlocked iPhone 7 Plus space gray 128gb. I was thinking maybe asking $600 on Swappa or is that too much?

I definitely would suggest and recommend Swappa. And you can also compare prices on there to see what similar models and storages are selling for.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

It looks like you might be able to get $600 at least if the phone is mint. They go down to $499 for "fair" condition.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks all! So far I’m loving it. Definitely feels like a huge upgrade. I love how I can sit in my car and not get jabbed in the stomach too.

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
I bought the. And returned in about a week and went back to my 8. Hated Face ID. Much happier with the 8!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.