Is the iPhone6s+ sold in Japan sim lock free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peterpan123, Nov 27, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

I heard opposite answers. Anybody bought the phone from Apple Store in Japan?

2. cynics macrumors G3

I wouldn't see why not. I believe Apple started selling unlocked with the 6 in Japan.

Plus you can buy it online from the Jalanese store so I don't see why you couldn't get it from the brick and mortar store.

http://www.apple.com/jp/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6s

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I got mine from the Shibuya Apple Store but it's locked to docomo. They do sell "SIM Free" phones but since they're unsubsidized, they're significantly more expensive. That said, all iPhones sold in Japan, starting with the 6s/6s Plus, can now be unlocked after six months by simply telling the carrier you want it unlocked. They all charge a fee for this (3000円) but at least it can be done, finally!

4. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

From some forums, it looked like they sold sim-lock free phones for a short period of time and then stopped. Now, it looks like they started selling such phones again but not sure. Yes, I know that docomo can unlock the phone after six month but I am not sure if I will stay in Japan for that long yet. I am now travelling HK where I can buy sim lock free phones. However, I won't be here long enough to test the phone for 14 days. I don't think I can buy it in HK and return the phone to Apple Japan within 14 days.

5. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I believe they'll have different model numbers. Sometimes making it hard for replacements in different countries

6. Lomity macrumors newbie

I bought the 6s plus on launch day at the Ginza store, SIM unlocked, and then signed up with an MVNO. The phone model is A1687. You can google the various models to confirm country band coverage.

Regarding an MVNO, I recommend the BIC Camera SIM which is provided by a company called IIJ. Data plans are cheap and coverage is good. It uses Docomo's network. You will need to sign up for a 1 year contract and pay a termination fee if you leave early but it wasn't outrageous from what I remember.

Regarding the big carriers, yes they subsidize the phone price but charge a lot more for their monthly data plan. If you do the math, it's quite a bit cheaper over 2 years to go the route I did.

Hope that helps.

7. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. If there is a band limitation even for sim lock free iPhone in Japan, is it better to buy in HK if I plan to use it in different countries including North America?

8. Lomity macrumors newbie

iPhones include a lot of bands. You just need to know the model available in Japan and then google the bands used in each country to look for a match. For example: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

9. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reminder. Did not know there are so many models. Which model covers the largest selections of countries? It looks like A1687 covers quite a lot.