Is the iPhone's protruding camera a benefit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oppressed, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Bear with me now, but I think the iPhone's protruding camera could be a hidden benefit. With the larger size of the iPhones and curved edges and screen it is naturally going to be a bit harder to handle and not drop. This is one of the reasons why the vast majority of people use cases on their phone.

Now let's say you designed the iPhone knowing almost everyone will put a case on it. You could make for a thicker phone and have the camera be flush with the encasing. Or if you have the camera protrude a bit you can make the entire phone thinner and the protruding camera is meaningless since the phone will always be in a case.

So basically if we did have a flush camera then the iPhone would be much thicker when you add a case.

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

I think you're looking a but too much into it.

Apple wanted to make everything thinner, and they did; but, they weren't able to make the camera improvements and shrink them at the same time so they chose to make the whole phone thinner except for the camera lens.

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

probably no benefit, and call me crazy, but am I the only one that actually likes the slight camera protude? I am not worried about the lens getting scratched at all and I do like the solid sturdy metal ring around it that also protrudes out.

4. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

Crazy.

:)

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

No benefit. It was on the iPod Touch long before the iPhone. If it was a benefit, the iPhone would have gotten a protruding camera before the iPod Touch ever did.

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000